Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Panhard Bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panhard Bar

Hey guys, I had my car up on my lift at work today and realized that my left side of the rear end was pushed over to the passenger side. My car has never been in a wreck, and never sideswiped a curb, or been trashed on, it only has 37k on the ticker. what caught my eye was that the left rear tire was sitting closer to the bumpstop than the right rear tire. Has anyone ever noticed this before? is this a common thing? I work on alot of them but never really paid attention to it. I am thinking maybe the panhard bar is bad, or the bushings are just worn out and that the rear end just shifter a tad. When the car is on the ground the clearance is fine, thought not as much as the pass. side. I am looking to get a adjustable panhard bar due to my deductible on my car being 125 for warranty work. I want to know what ones you guys recommend. I want to be able to adjust it on the car. I saw SPohn and edelbrock and one other company on ws6store.com Just wanting to get some input from the forum members. thanks again guys

Mike
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is your car lowered...If so then that the culprit
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Hello, this is a common problem with the F-bodies. Back when they were still in production, you could walk down the line at a dealership and the rearend would be offset slightly on most all of the cars. When you lower a car, it pushes it over to the drivers side even more. We have an adjustable version that allows easy adjustment on the car. Give me a call and I can help you out.
Jason/BMR
813-986-9302
Old 08-08-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rearend would be offset slightly on most all of the cars
Really...Im not doubting you but for my own education how could that happen
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BitViper
Really...Im not doubting you but for my own education how could that happen
There's a lot of variation in factory tolerences, combined with different springs for different applications (HT, convert; V-6, V-8; etc.) and a "one size fits all" panhard bar.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm just wondering if the axle was hanging down when on the lift. The panhard bar centers at ride hieght but moves alot at the extremes of suspension travel. If this is the lift type that picks up the car by its body, maybe thats why u only noticed it then.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Import Patrol

Get the adj phr and be done with it. I had a simlar problem with my car. Stocki ride hight, buit I was running 28x10.5 and I noticed more rubbing on one side more then another. I picked up a used bmr adj phr for $60 and it is all good now!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by subtlez28
I'm just wondering if the axle was hanging down when on the lift. The panhard bar centers at ride hieght but moves alot at the extremes of suspension travel. If this is the lift type that picks up the car by its body, maybe thats why u only noticed it then.

Good point!!

Quick Reply: Panhard Bar