Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Hal ride height for best traction?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Hal ride height for best traction?

My car won't hook for crap anymore. I was wondering how high everyone sets their front Hals to hook best. I'm running 165/0/15's up front and I leave about 1.5 - 2 inches of gap between the tire and fender. Is this hurting me? I've been looking at some video and a lot of people seem to be setting the fender almost level with the tire, would this help traction?

I'm running 28" Hoosier Drags on a gassed (150 rwhp), bolt-on, full suspension SS A4 with a TP4400 stall and 4:30 gears. Why can't I hook up??????

Jeffrey

<small>[ April 10, 2003, 07:08 PM: Message edited by: B18B1LS1 ]</small>
Old 04-10-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Hal ride height for best traction?

Your front ride height is likely only part of th picture.

What tires are you running? What control arms? LCA relocation brackets? Aftermarket torque arm? Any answers will help.

YOu will likely see an improvement with some or all of the following:

Aftermarket torque arm with adjustable pinion angle.

Aftermarket LCA's.

LCA relocation brackets.

That is lots of gear and stall. You will likely need to move your pinion angle to -2 degrees with an aftermarket torque arm and start trying different shocks adjustments (likely, you'll want to soften the "bump" setting on the front and start with that). Have someone film your car on the launch. Is the rear squatting or is it rising away from the rear tires (look at the fender gap, does it increase or decrease?) If it is increasing, the suspension is lifting the rear of of the car and trying to plant the rear tires...if that is the case, soften the rebound on the rear shocks to allow more lift (at least for starters and experiment from there). These are just some ideas...hope they are helpful....Good luck!
Old 04-11-2003, 06:10 PM
DJ
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to speak for jeffrey, but he already has the adjustable lca's and relocation brackets.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm running 28x9x15 Hoosier drags,Hal front shocks and springs, Hal rear shocks, BMR adjustable LCA's, Spohn relocation brackets
I do have a stock torque arm though. I've been through all the settings on my shocks, so far my best setup is 1 on both fronts and 3 on the driver rear and 4 on the passenger rear. My car weighs 3450 and makes ~470 rwhp and ~600 rwtq.
Any other ideas, I'll try a torque arm sometime soon and I think I will move up to a 30x10.5x15 tire to kill some of my gearing as well.
Thanks for the help!

Jeffrey

<small>[ April 11, 2003, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: B18B1LS1 ]</small>
Old 04-12-2003, 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember when you make changes to the car do them one at a time. I know it is a major pita, but if you do this you can see what works for you and what does not. For instance.

If you put in torque arm, tires, and change the shock setttings and gain .2 could it be from the tires alone? Could it be the shocks? Could something be taking away from your gains? Etc.. you get my point I am sure.

How old are your tires you are running now?
What psi are you running them at?
What is your 60'? What was it before? Has it been slowly getting slower?

Steven
Old 04-12-2003, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The tires aren't very old at all. They do have about 40-50 passes on them. I usually start at about 14 and work down to 8 psi or until I can't keep it straight, depending on track conditions.
I have done a freak 1.37 60' on a dead hook, but never again. Normal 60's range from low 1.5's up to high 1.6's spinning through most of first gear. I am going to get new tires soon because mine are close to the tread wear indicators. I also have about 300 street miles on them that I know hardens them up a lot, this could be a major part of the problem. Thanks for the advice.

Jeffrey

Quick Reply: Hal ride height for best traction?