Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ABS operation w/ different tire diameters??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003 | 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default ABS operation w/ different tire diameters??

Even I understand that if the front and rear tire diameters are the same (as one another, even if they are different from stock), there will not be any issues with proper ABS operation.

However, what if there is a significant difference between front and rear tire diameters?? Will the ABS computer get freaked out?? Even with all of the different wheel/tire size combinations out there, the tire diameter is usually pretty close (believe it or not, a 315/35/17 and a 275/40/17 are pretty freakin' close in overall diameter).

On the other hand, look at the stock Z06 tire diameters: 26.13" for a 295/35/18 rear tire, and 25.35" for a 265/40/17 (according to the handy little calculator at www.gafba.com). Are the ABS computers in the Z06's specially calibrated to deal with this delta in diameter?? How much of a difference could you get away with on an F-car ABS computer, does anyone know??

Could that be part of the problem here: https://ls1tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.p...;f=25;t=002407 ??

Has anyone had any issues by, say, installing a set of 28" tall slicks and staying with a somewhere-near-stock tire diameter (~25.6")??

I am considering getting a little kinky with tire sizes, but if it'll mean disabling my ABS I'll have to find another way.

Thanks, folks...

<small>[ April 14, 2003, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: BurnOut ]</small>
Old 04-14-2003 | 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: ABS operation w/ different tire diameters??

I have 245/45/17 front, and 275/40/18 rear on my Z
and the ABS occasionally turns on at high speeds, when i brake a bit harder than normal
so i just dont tailgate anyone at high speeds, dont do it at any speed really, but i make sure i dont