Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

1LE question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003 | 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default 1LE question

Im thinking of getting the 1LE package from SLPENG.COM for my stock suspension 2000 WS6 TA. In all the reading i've done on this package i havent heard anything about how it performs as a daily driver. I've yet to road race or autocross,plan on it in the future, but do love the twisties.im basically looking for the best adjustable suspension setup that i can get, and the 1LE has the results to back it up. any thoughts or recomendations would be great...
Old 04-17-2003 | 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Default Re: 1LE question

You said "the best adjustable suspension I can get". The 1LE setup has no adjustments for any of the components.

The SLP kit is the "next step" in street suspension, it is an upgrade from stock, but it is still pretty mild as suspension kits go. The control arms have upgraded bushings (on virtually stock control arms). The shocks are much improved over the DeCarbons that come from the factory on these cars. The spring rates are increased and the vehicle is moderately lowered (never a bad thing). This system makes for a reasonably upgraded suspension kit that is still civilized enough for daily use. If this sounds like the kind of upgrade you are looking for, give it a shot. If you are looking for "more", then you have lots of other options. Tell us what you want and we'll try to help you find it. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2003 | 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

im sorry, i should have clarified that a little bit... by adjustable i meant adjustable shocks, IE the DA koni's... im not looking to change ride height like coilovers can change ride height. and i dont care about adjustable PHR or LCA's so long as the 1LE stuff with work with a moser 12 bolt...
Old 04-18-2003 | 09:43 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Are you looking at the SLP Level 1 kit shown on this link:

http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...TNUMBER=70001A

If it is that kit, it uses Bilstien shocks that are non adjustable. I've never seen an SLP kit that used Koni's (but that dosent mean it dosen't exsist), and just looked on their website and still don't see one. Is this an aftermarket 1LE kit done by a speed shop or a vendor? I just want to make sure that you are getting the right parts. Koni DA shocks run about $1300 for all 4 (give or take $100) and any kit using the Koni's will likely be an expensive kit. But, if you are wanting DA Koni's and the 1LE parts for the rest of the kit (sway bars, control arms, panhard rod, etc) it is not a bad way to go. I would buy an aftermarket "boxed" or heim jointed panhard rod for the price SLP wants for the 1LE version. Just my thoughts....
Old 04-18-2003 | 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

the kit im looking at is this one... http://www.slpeng.com/outlet/ if you look to the bottom of the page it has teh 1LE complete kit. im ASSuming that this is what came on the factory 1le cars since its comming from slp's engineering side...
Old 04-18-2003 | 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

If that kit has Koni's in it....it is worth the price of the kit for the shocks alone (it's like getting the rest of it for free....). That would be a good way to go....I may still suggest upgrading the LCA's and panhard rod....but I tend to lean towards "overkill". Let me know what you find out about the shocks. I'd suggest giving it a shot...you can always upgrade the other parts later if you decide you need them.
Old 04-19-2003 | 12:15 AM
Launching!

I've got a 99 1LE and it runs great on the track. However, that kit doesn't show the 1LE specific front upper and lower control arms. The bushings are stiffer and make a huge difference on the turn in response compared to a stock Z28.

In fact, I'm selling some of my GW suspension and my extra set of Koni D/A's and going back to my 1LE stuff.

George
Old 04-19-2003 | 09:52 AM
Launching!

I've got a 2002 1LE.
Great on the street. A little to stiff in the rear for tight autocrosses.
If it truly comes with Koni DA's, it'll be worth it, as long as you plan on using them. If the plan is to set them in one spot and leave it, I'd get something else...
Old 04-20-2003 | 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 98 1le and i say go for it.
Old 04-20-2003 | 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Hey Argon....what's that monster dyno at?
Old 04-21-2003 | 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

welp the complete kit is on its way, should have it in 2 weeks, totaled out to $1572 shipped to my door. it does come complete with koni DA's at all 4 corners with the springs, rear LCA's and PHR, tranny mount, plus new front upper and lower control arms with the 1le bushings in everthing, this is the same stuff that got put on the car if you would have ordered it from the factory... my new question is what should i have my alignment set to? it'll be used for the street at first, should i use the factory settings? and what are some good settings to adjust the DA's to, i want something firm, that will give me good performance for the street/road raceing...
Old 04-28-2003 | 08:20 PM
Teching In

I also ordered the slp 1LE package for my convertible.
I know it is not recommended, but I want a firmer ride without any lowering. That leaves the SLP Bilstein package out. Any suggestions, recommendations, warnings...etc.
Old 04-28-2003 | 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

be carefull about this package, i got it on friday, missing all control arms, tranny mount, some mounting hardware and springs... they claimed over the phone that the 1le kit uses the stock springs, which is a bunch of BS... just a little warning... i'll update this thread over the next few days as slp eng either steps up to the plate and delivers what was stated to be in the kit, or falls on there face...
Old 04-29-2003 | 12:37 AM
Teching In

My 2002 Camaro SS owner's manual supplement has a breakdown of what the kit includes. This is a partial list based on the above post.

spring, rear, 1le 2 10860
spring, front, 1le 2 10857
control arm, upper left 1 10458
control arm, upper right 1 10459
control arm, lower left 1 10453
control arm, lower right 1 10454
transmission mount not listed
mounting hardware not listed

I remember reading on one of the boards that someone kept ordering the 1le springs from a gm parts supplier, and they kept sending him stock springs. I don't remember if it was all 4 or just the rear. Again that's gm, not slp. The transmission mount has been discontinued from gm. I believe Slp lists in in their catalog, but did not produce it. I also don't know if the parts vary from year to year.

I will post what I receive.

Benny
Old 04-29-2003 | 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

we'll after talking to slp eng today, they realised there mistake and will be correcting the problem.. looks like i will soon be the owner of a complete 1LE modified WS6
Old 04-30-2003 | 10:30 AM
Launching!

I just tried to buy the 1LE package from SLP and they told me it was no longer available.
Old 04-30-2003 | 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

now there saying that the springs are take off springs, and the if i want the true 1le springs that i have to buy model year 99 springs.... so the whole thing is going back... i cant believe that they dont have there **** together..
Old 05-01-2003 | 08:41 PM
Teching In

LS1Z28 email me

pharmpod@mindspring.com

Benny
Old 05-02-2003 | 07:35 AM
Teching In

<<<<<BananaNutz>>>>>

My set arrived same as yours...no springs, control arms, or transmission bracket.

I may return my set also.

How did you make out with SLP?

Benny
Old 05-02-2003 | 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SLP customer service is notoriously bad. I have had nothing but bad experiences whenever I have had to deal with one of their phone reps about one of their products I had ordered I hope everything works out for you

Quick Reply: 1LE question