Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
View Poll Results: If you were to purchase a new panhard bar for -your- car, what would you purchase?
poly/poly ends
30.43%
poly/rod ends
19.57%
rod/rod ends
50.00%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Panhard bar: poly/poly, poly/rod or rod/rod

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rods only. Make your own.. unless you can find one already made cheaper than what you could make them yourself for
Old 04-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Launching!

I have the SJM Manufacturing rod/rod panhard, and LCA's. There is a very big difference in handling between stock and the rod/rod setup, but I do experience a lot of noise. This is however only over bumps where the rear end drops....pot holes...uneven roads....etc... There isn't however, any squeaking or anything. I'm very happy with their parts. Fast shipping too!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Good thread! I am thinking about upgrading my PHB and LCA's and was leaning toward a poly/rod combo. Will the poly/rod PHB eliminate the tendancy for the rear to "jump" when going over a bump in the road while in a turn as well as the rod/rod unit would?
Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of these people are talking about hearing and feeling rod ended LCA's not PHR. Can we please stick to PHR's?

I started off with a poly PHR, but a rod ended unit was the only way to keep my 315's from rubbing. I got zero noise or harshness at all. Plus my steering response got quicker. If you like to slide the back end around it also made it break loose and grab in a more consistant manner. It felt much better doing that with the rod ended piece. I would always go with rod ended PHR. LCA arms are a bit more tricky as they might add some NVH, but that is for another discussion.

There is a place called Hotparts or something like that selling a PHR with high quality rod ends for about $129. I've been running it at least 2 years now and not a hint of noise from it.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've got our double adjustable PHR's in stock and set at a special price of 139.99 and will have less deflection then said aluminum setup.

Our kits also INCLUDE a PHR upgrade bolt kits for 139.99. Our kits are made from 4130 material with high-end QA1 Teflon rod ends. Our components are tig pulsed and sequenced to maintain material strength and quality control.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Our kits are made from 4130 material with high-end QA1 Teflon rod ends.
Is that the XM series?

Oops, they sell for $109, not $129. Still, the SJM one sounds real good as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Sadly, I've had some bad experiences with rod/rod parts, and I've even used the QA1 teflon lined ends, but the noise still came back over time since mine is a daily driver. I'll end up giving the rod/rod panhard a shot again in the future, but on these roads here in Ohio, I have a feeling it is gonna develop some clunking over time. For now, I have poly everything in the back...it keeps the noise in check the best, but the handling isn't what it could be (it definitely handled better with the rod-ended parts).
Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Is that the XM series?

The SJM one sounds real good as well.
Yes, we use XM series QA1 rod ends. They have proven to be very durable.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's good stuff.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

UMI poly/rod on-car adj here.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Ive got the one JasonWW speaks of.. very high quality piece. Mine is the chromoly extruded piece that the whole bar is actually one piece for higher strength. 109 with free shipping cant be beat on a rod/rod on car adjustable PHR.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rod/Rod very good stuff!

The PHR made a big difference. A whole lot more than I thought.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

I went from poly/poly Spohn LCAs and Panhard Bar to J&M (hotpart.com) Rod/Rod Aluminum LCAs and Panhard Bar and it made a huge difference.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/789411-j-m-rod-rod-aluminum-lcas-panhard-bar-review.html
Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just put the pavlock rod/rod on my car the other day. I can honestly say I haven't heard any noise from it so I'm not sure what everyone else complains about. Although I will say I think pavlock doesn't use qa1 rod ends so maybe that makes some sort of difference?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, I did a Poly/rod PHB recently. The difference was significant. I assume the enhanced performance relates to the lack of slop in the new PHB compared to the rubber ends on the factory units and not so much on the fact that the factory units are stamped from steel and "bend". I suspect the claim of bending the factory PHB is more marketing hype.

Is this true?

Anyway, my poly end is bolted to the chassis end not the rear. I do notice some banging on the right rear when I go over a bump at moderate speed, however.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Although I will say I think pavlock doesn't use qa1 rod ends so maybe that makes some sort of difference?
Higher quality rod ends just last longer. Other than that it shouldn't effect the noise. The noise comes from the slack in a worn out rod end. That's all.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the SJM rod/rod one. Nice quality piece and awesome customer service. He even explained to me over the phone and how they all worked. The rod/rod phb was noisy driving though parking lots, over bumps, over road imperfections. All this was at less than 30mph. Since, I just wanted an on car adj one that wasn't noisy, I switched it out for BMR's poly/poly double adj phb. Zero noise, perfect fit, excellent quality, and came powercoated in their new black vein. My car is a street car and I don't need the double rod ends. Road racers tend to use the rod/rod because of the less deflection. I use mine for less noise and adjustment because I'm lowered.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

The rod ended PHR is also good for those running 315 tires. The deflection you get with the poly ends can cause the tires to rub under heavy cornering. Switching to the rod ends fixed all that on my car.

Another benefit of the less deflection was better high speed stability and the car responded quicker to steering input as opposed to the poly unit.

If you like to slide the back end around every once in a while, who doesn't, the rod ends allow you to control the car a bit better as well. It just feels more predictable.

I still don't know why some people get noise from them, mine have been quiet since day one.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a rod/rod PHB w QA1 teflon lined ends. I had that low speed road imperfection rattle also, since new. I road race the car, but couldn't tolerate the rattle on the street...made the car seem cheap. It did it every time I pulled out of the driveway.

When I took it off, I measured it and I could not measure a diff between the adjusted PHB length and the stocker, so I guess I didn't need the adjustable one anyway. I have a race tomarrow, I'll see if I miss it at the track. I'm hoping the Konis helped more with the rear hopping around. I did the PHB and Konis at the same time, so I'm not sure how much credit the PHB deserved on that issue.

After the race, If I am disatisfied w the stock PHB, I may try a poly unit. But I'm hesitant after reading this thread to even try a poly/rod combo....I hate that rattle noise!
Maybe I'll just throw harder rubber bushings in the stock PHB(like 1LE).
Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You left out rubber/rubber. My Hotchkiss adjustable has big
solid rubber mount bushings. Maybe, or not, different than
poly/poly. Not that much deflecting it can do in its cage.

Quick Reply: Panhard bar: poly/poly, poly/rod or rod/rod