Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

front brake swap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006 | 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Default front brake swap?

is it worth it to convert the front brakes on an f-body to the vette brakes?
ive read conflicting opinions on this and considerind a front break upgrade and going this route makes good $$ sense if its a worthwhile swap.
Old 08-18-2006 | 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is your intended application? I understand the OEM calipers are OK, but the rotors should be upgraded!

DD, autocross, drag, general touring?

You are correct in that many have upgraded to the C5 conversion, but for my usage, I cannot justify the cost. I had all (4) calipers polished, installed new slotted zinc-plated Brembo rotors around, and went w/HPS Hawk pads for approx $760 ($200 for polishing and $80 install)

Material costs $480, so maybe this can be a starting point, since I do not know how much you plan on spending for your conversion.

Semper Fi

Last edited by Firehawk526; 08-18-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-19-2006 | 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

i had a person tell my that the f-body calipers are better then the vette's and that the real advantage in the swap is the larger diameter rotors.
my intentions are just for better everyday breaking and for the occational track day(2-3 times a year).
Old 08-19-2006 | 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1999 SS
i had a person tell my that the f-body calipers are better then the vette's and that the real advantage in the swap is the larger diameter rotors.
my intentions are just for better everyday breaking and for the occational track day(2-3 times a year).
The C5 calipers are a stronger caliper than the f-body. The F-body calipers are gravity cast (basically just cast) while the Corvette calipers are pressure cast (not exactly forged, but cast under pressure for a more dense/durable casting). The C5 calipers are more resistant to heat related spreading than the F-body calipers. If you get the F-body version hot enough and apply hard braking pressure, they can bend outward from the head/loading. It's harder to get the Corvette caliper to do this.

The larger rotor is helpful and it's a better caliper. Also, you can get C5 rotors for about $18 or so, F-body rotors are a good bit more expensive.

Quick Reply: front brake swap?