Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

98 1LE springs a good match for Bilstein HDs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Default 98 1LE springs a good match for Bilstein HDs?

OK, here's my situation...You see in my sig what I have, including stock springs. This car is sagging in the rear due to age and stereo in the hatch. The front of the car is almost an inch higher than the rear. This looks funny and sometimes the rear tires rub on hard cornering due to this. I found some 1LE springs with 25k on them. My thinking is that installing these front and rear will raise the rear a bit (and be stronger too) and lower the front a tad. So I have three questions:
1. Is my thinking/prediction correct?
2. Are my Bilstein HDs going to mesh well with these springs? My goals are comfort first and handling/control second.
3. Would I be better off getting the air "helper" springs to raise the rear and how will this affect ride quality (spring rates)?

Please help.

TIA,
Jason
Old 08-23-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD"s are not really made for the 1le there a little stiffer. I would be checking my shocks and springs in the rear? How much weight do you have?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

1LE rears are 12-36% stiffer than stock springs. I'd suggest some other shock other than the 4th gen HD's in back. Koni's, 3rd gen HD's, something. Koni's are an option to seriously consider here not only due to the increased spring rate, but also the increase in car weight. If your stereo is heavy enough to make the car sag, then it's certainly heavy enough to be a tangible part of the damping equation.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 08-23-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, there's probably an additional 100 lbs of sub/box/amps/cabling in the rear, maybe 125 lbs. There's also a good 100 lbs of sound deadening throughout the car as well. Perhaps I should just install the air (helper) springs and see how it looks and rides.

All of a sudden, I'm thinking I may should have nutted up for the Konis...