Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTS-V brakes, something different

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CTS-V brakes, something different

Having been in my friends 05 STi and now his 06 Evo 9 MR, i just love the superior stoping power those cars have.. BREMBO's

Ok we all know 14" CTS-V rotors are 6 lug.. and therefore we cant use them.. we know that...

what we know is that CTS-V calipers are "Off the shelf Brembo's" (per brembo's website) and are identical to the ones on the Evo 8,9, and STi, BUTthey use 13" rotors (12.9 if you want to be picky) per brembo, again.

Per Stoptech's website.. they even say that their "caliper mounts identically like a regular brembo caliper would mount"...

Well brembo makes a kit for our cars.. but they have a high cost $$$$

now.. what Im proposing is using the CTS-V caliper and a 13" rotor. Why? because you can buy the Brembo 4 piston CTS-V caliper from www.GMpartsDirect.com for $166.50 each (with pads). or $121 with no pads each.

Brembo's kit (per tire rack is $2875+)

Stoptech is $1995+

so we would need, is
1.a 13" rotor with correct spacing(from stoptech 332x32 or brembo)
2.a mounting bracket (who ever can make or one or if brembo or stoptech will sell it separate)
3.Brake lines

Basically a complete 13" 4 piston brembo kit for under $800-900

major hurdle right now is finding a mounting bracket.

anyone else want to chime in here, add what you know.. I would rather go this route than go with a C5 "upgrade".
Old 09-14-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can you pm me the part number for the brakes for the V.

Im interested in looking into this.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A C5 upgrade isnt even an upgrade it's 4 piston front / 2 piston back or go home for our heavy cars imo. The Evo's, Sti's, Supras, 300ZX's, G35's, and Fairlady Z's get 4/2 and they weigh as much as our f-bodies.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

yeah good call

I have the part#'s on a paper at work... will post them tomorrow..

yeah the Evo 9 MR that my friend has... unbeleiveable stopping power.. he is using Ferrado racing pads and RBF Motul 600... that damn thing almost lifts the back wheels off the ground.. I havent felt negative G's like that before..
Old 09-15-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow

Im interested in looking into this.

Thanks

Ryan
PM sent..
Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

There isn't always a need for big brakes. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent for many high speed track duties, but for street apps, they're mostly overkill.

1. FWIW, if you're trying to achieve more stopping power, getting bigger brakes really won't be the godsend many purport them to be. Yes, having solid calipers help due to increased pdeal stiffness (with the system properly bled) however, it's mostly in the pad compound used for the appropriate application.

2. Your friends evo was demostrating what excessive brake dive will cause. That sensation is mostly due to improper braking technique causing a lot of quick and uncontrollable weight transfer. It may seem amazing, however it doesn't mean that you have proper braking control. Also, it can lead to one hell of an accident. Suspension configuration adjustment would most likely yield an improvement with the control.

3. If you think that just matching a set of four piston calipers to a set of brake rotors is just fabricate and go, well, it might however there is one major concern. Brake piston sizes. Even between though the same caliper is used with many stoptech kits, the piston sizes are different between the different kits. With this said, the pistons will have an effect on brake bias, believe it or not.

I'd like to see an 800-900 DIY brake kit, however have you factored in the prices for the friction rings, billet hats (usually expensive), stainless steel lines, and possbily fabricating the brackets just in case the two vendors refuse to sell the replacement parts and/or the brackets won't yield a proper fit?

I'm not trying to discourage or encourage you, just mentioning some things to think about.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

thanks for the input foxxtron... I have factored in the lines and cost of machining a bracket.. there is a place here in UT.. called Evco house of hose.. priced per set of Stainless braided lines.. 73$.. Working with a machine shop here, about the bracket.. estimates of 100-200$.. (all using a brembo caliper i pulled from a wrecked STi we found) But i cant get a bracket made until i have a rotor that i know will work

Biggest cost is going to be the rotors.. and finding the right size and spacing, and a company that will sell them separate from buying a "complete kit".

rotors/hats.. should be roughly the same ones stoptech or Brembo uses.. (not quite sure if they sell those separately). I've been researching this for about 4 months now.. trying to nail down the machining of a bracket (which has been the toughest part).. and now its onto the rotors..

My friend's evo is far from stock.. its now a road racing car.. he has been racing for 5 years.. and we mostly race at Miller Motorsports Park here in SLC. His driving skills are quite superior to most on the track.. and the negative G's i was describing were on the track, I also failed to mention he is using Hoosier's which adds to the stoping force.. and we were testing a 100-0 stop (after racing was finished of course).

My use for these calipers is not just looks or for braggin rights.. its for function. I am slowly (per money permitting) converting my car over to being a road racing car.

I wanted to further pursue this to see if I can manage to put together a good braking system, while on a strict budget. If I cant, well then its time to save some more.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

interesting thread, can u please PM part numbers.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Biggest cost is going to be the rotors.. and finding the right size and spacing, and a company that will sell them separate from buying a "complete kit".
Isnt the C5 rotor the size you need?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT1BRN
interesting thread, can u please PM part numbers.
This is interesting, I would like read more opinions on this idea.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by VIP1
Isnt the C5 rotor the size you need?

correct size (diameter).. but not the correct offset.. the Brembo caliper is a lot thicker, and the offset of the rotor is critical because if not, the caliper would hit the wheel

basically.. we are making the 2875$ brembo kit on the cheap.. need everything they use minus the calipers.. I have the brake lines covered.. & pads.. I need a rotor and then a shop to machine a strong bracket for left and right sides..

I would like to find some one out there that has this $2,875 brembo GT kit on their camaro.. and borrow their brackets top copy them.

side note.. I just received an Email from Gmpartsdirect customer service, confirming the part#'s i have for the brembo 4 pistion CTS-V calipers. $112(+their 20% shipping cost) for each caliper.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's pretty crazy man. Interesting things come from people who find new was to save cash. He may be on to something.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Addict

update... i just found 2 shops local here... that I am friendly with the owners.. who have account with Brembo and stoptech.. working on getting what I need. will update this thread as more information becomes available.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Launching!

This sounds great, Hopefully this turns out to be a better choice than the C5 brake calipers.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't hesitate to consult Coleman Racing. If you can provide the specs, they can provide the rotors you need with the appropriate diameter, thickness, and offset, with a several different options for how how to mount the "floating" bell.

Again, this all depends on which is the better deal.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

I have no idea how I didn't see that...haha I read the post like three times. I guess I was thinkin of the regular CTS's that have 5 lug wheels..

another random thought...think the c6 z06 rotors would work at all?

Last edited by Darkspoon; 09-19-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darkspoon
why not try n get those 14 inch rotors the cts-v comes with on there? do they have a diff bolt pattern? dont wanna use 18 inch wheels?

Ummm.. read the first post..

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Ok we all know 14" CTS-V rotors are 6 lug.. and therefore we cant use them.. we know that...
Old 09-19-2006, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Im interested in looking into this also. Might not do the c5, if this works
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting! Subscribing!
Old 09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

A friend told me about a similar situation but the cars are audis and the calipers are brembos from porsche. Some guys made their own bracket to make the porsche calipers work. Then they made a 'club' that you have to join and agree to some legal stuff to limit them from liability before they will sell you the brackets.

Again, this site is *not* about f-bods. Here is the link if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.bira.org/info_main.html
(bira = braking improvement research association)

Quick Reply: CTS-V brakes, something different