Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Quiet (no squeal) brake setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quiet (no squeal) brake setup?

Hi all,

I recently replaced my rear brakes with Raybestos rotors and pads. Performance braking means very little to me, stock brake performance is perfectly acceptable for my requirements. I just want them to work, be quiet, and dust as little as possible.

I went with Raybestos products because they were the most reasonably priced North American produced parts I could find. I've had bad luck in the past with Chinese pads/rotors and the hassle is more expensive to me than the part cost.

But, they squeal, not bad, but it's there.

- The pads and rotors were replaced as a set. I cleaned them off with brake cleaner at installation.
- I cleaned and greased the caliper pins. The seals are good and the pins glide freely.
- I used the new sheet metal shim pad guides and composite rear pad backing shims, and applied disc brake quiet at the pad to caliper/shim interfaces. Not the blue smurf poop stuff but a heavier green grease-like product from a tub.
- The brakes were bedded and taken easy on for a couple tanks of gas.

Now after about 3k miles, I get a light squeak at very particular level of braking, which just so happens to be the level I use during relaxed driving in traffic. So it's annoying to me. Harder on the pedal and it's gone, lighter and it's gone. Only at maybe 10% braking. Efforts at cleaning / brake parts cleaner have no effect.

Suggestions? The squealing is not bad. It's light enough that windows/top up you can't really hear it. But top down it's there and it bothers me.

Enough that I'd do different pads if I knew they were better.

Thoughts?

Last edited by todddchi; 09-18-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be the quality of the pad material, however if you develop a groove in the brake rotor or the noise gets progressively worse, don't hesitate to rule it out as a defective pad. I've had more than my share of defective pads, from OE replacement to race pads designed for high MOT's.

EDIT: The squeal could also be from the pad backing as well, which some anti-squeal might or might not help. If the squeak doesn't go away after that, then you might want to inspect your caliper slider pins.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the pads Raybestos "Quiet Stops"? If so that's what I use and virtually not dusting and no sound.

Are they Ceramic or Semi Metallic?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the pads Raybestos "Quiet Stops"? If so that's what I use and virtually not dusting and no sound.

Are they Ceramic or Semi Metallic?
Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Teching In

If they are a ceramic pad sometimes for the first couple miles they will squeal during there "break in period". Another thing that i found out is that with alot of brake pads the use of break clean can react with the pad lining causing it to harden. I tell all my coustomers to use dish soap and water instead of break clean.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are PG plus pads. I guess I should've found a place that carried the Quiet stops.

The brakes didn't start squealing until about 3k+ miles or so, way past break in. Rotors are smooth by vision and feel.

I guess I'll give the quiet stops a shot next time.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

what size are your wheels? the bigger they are the heavier, so stopping will be harder on the pads. if they are the stock 17s i recommend wagner thermo quiet. when i had them on my 18s i had a light inital sqeel, i put my 17s on when winter came & it stopped

Quick Reply: Quiet (no squeal) brake setup?