Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Short Torque arm or Stock length for AutoX/RR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short Torque arm or Stock length for AutoX/RR?

I'm in need of an adjustable torque arm to fix my pinion angle. I'm wondering if I should get one that mounts to the stock location on the back fo the tranny, or one that mounts in the stock tunnel brace location... I don't know if changing this angle will have any affect on my handling, I'm hoping mitch or trackbird or anyone else with some real knowledge will chime in here...

Thanks guys!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

Blane I was just looking into this and searching around FBRRAX. (Those guys are regulars there). It seems thier concencious is that the short arms are great for drags due to maximum anti-squat but not good road race because they have the opposite effect under brakeing (lift). The short arms will at least reduce rear braking effectivness and could cause wheel hop under brakeing. Long arms for RR/AX.

Vernon
Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you! I would have searched there but I'm at work and that one is blocked for some reason
Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Blane I was just looking into this and searching around FBRRAX. (Those guys are regulars there). It seems thier concencious is that the short arms are great for drags due to maximum anti-squat but not good road race because they have the opposite effect under brakeing (lift). The short arms will at least reduce rear braking effectivness and could cause wheel hop under brakeing. Long arms for RR/AX.

Vernon
great info.... my only addional thought is whether this is different at all for A4 vs M6 cars. i hear M6 cars actually tend to hook better with the stock length TAs. i dont know the validity of this, its just what i've heard. maybe someone can step in here and shine some light on the situation
Old 09-21-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's an artifact of the link geometry. The short torque arm
magnifies all torque reactions. Good for launch as it does
the downforce; bad for braking as it makes upforce there.

Hard core 3-link suspensions sometimes use separate arms
for braking and acceleration torque snubbing. Decouple the
two reactions. But that's not something you're going to find
mail order, I reckon.

Stock length is going to be more balanced and less trouble,
which is why it is where it is (forward even more would be
more neutral, but there is that inconvenient powertrain).
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic

Vernon
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Short and straight to the point. One correction, it's frrax.com, not fbrrax. Other than that, you nailed it.