Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steering has slop in it

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006 | 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Steering has slop in it

If I start my car up and turn the wheel there is slop in it. It seems like I can go each way a little bit before it actually starts to turn the wheels. It's the same way when driving. Is there something I can check for? Could something be wore out? I know I need an alignment since I just had the kmember out but I don't think that would effect the car just sitting there.
Old 10-03-2006 | 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Mine had that issue. I had 4-5 inches of play in the wheel. There was something wrong internally with the Column. The plastic retainer was chewed up bad and the tube was bent up causing it to move around.
Old 10-03-2006 | 03:18 PM
Teching In

There are a few things that can cause this. Since I think you have a '98, the rag joint shouldn't be an issue, so have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you watch with the hood open.

You should be able to see the steering column move between the firewall and the rack. If it is moving and the tires are not, then either the rack is going bad or the tie rods are. That should at least eliminate the steering column from the equation.

Jason S.
Old 10-03-2006 | 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

you can see the tierods move and the wheels not move if they are bad.

Quick Reply: Steering has slop in it