Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How hard to change Koni perch once installed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How hard to change Koni perch once installed?

Shop is installing all new front end suspension with Koni SA and SLP Level II springs. Will try the lower perch but if that drops this 98 WS6 vert to far I'm curious how hard to raise back to the upper perch.

I'm guessing a spring compressor with the front end elevated but 99% of the members here know more then me, so thought I would ask.

Thank you!
Old 10-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Launching!

I'm pretty dang sure using the lower perch in combination with a lowering spring is a big no-no. I would go ahead and put it on the upper perch if I were you, and save you the trouble of having to take it all apart again to change it.

BTW, changing the perch would be near impossible to change on the car. It would require a total disassembly.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TXAgZ28
I'm pretty dang sure using the lower perch in combination with a lowering spring is a big no-no. I would go ahead and put it on the upper perch if I were you, and save you the trouble of having to take it all apart again to change it.

BTW, changing the perch would be near impossible to change on the car. It would require a total disassembly.
Have you done it before? where do you get your info? There are members on this board that have lowering springs on the lower perch and never had any problems. The only big difference is that your suspension has less traveling range, even then, u can adjust the konis to make them stiffer if your scared of them bottoming out.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ultraz
Have you done it before? where do you get your info? There are members on this board that have lowering springs on the lower perch and never had any problems. The only big difference is that your suspension has less traveling range, even then, u can adjust the konis to make them stiffer if your scared of them bottoming out.
I've swapped front springs on my car many times by myself, yeah (stock to 1LE to LG to stock, swapping shocks, etc). I have Koni SA's too. I've swapped the perches. Gotta move the lower spring cup, then take the retaining clip out, etc.

I get my info from my own personal observations. It's a suggestion based on personal experience. I had LG springs up front on the upper perch, and knew that if I had them on the lower one, it'd be way too low. Not only would there be limited suspension travel, but it'd scrape worse than it did with them on there. I had a fun time climbing speed bumps, and traversing dips in parking lots with the LG's on the upper perch. I wouldn't want it on the lower perch. But you do what you want, don't let me tell you otherwise. Just sharing my observations...
Old 10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK,

Thanks, I should run the upper perch. Makes more sense since this is a convertible (heavier) with additional weight added (75 lbs Dynamat, Headers, Dual very heavy mufflers, heavy sub box the width of the trunk opening). I understand that most of the added weight is in the middle and rear of the car.

The rear springs will be another issue. The There is about 1100 more pounds over the rear axle. I bougth the BMR rear and 1LE rear as backups. Stats say the BMR are 1" lower and 145-170 lbs compared to 1LE 130-180. I can tell you that I can compress the BMR using my body weight much easier then the 1LE, which harldy move. Hmmm!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

im running the g2 spings on the lower perch and its fine. I just avoid large speedbumps because my cats scrape. This is only on the larger than normal speed bumps. You will be fine because my springs dropped the front 1.5"

Quick Reply: How hard to change Koni perch once installed?