Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wheel hop...banging sound...??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel hop...banging sound...??

Ok I just got some drag radials and I was told by the performance shop if I go to the track not to launch my car so my rear end stays in one piece. Well I was practicing my take offs without launching and I was getting this banging. It felt like a wheel hop but it was a big awkward knocking to the point where Im just not sure what it was. Any idea of what I might be hearing or how to rememdy the problem.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

can you try to isolate the noise a little bit more to a more specific region? it could be the torque arm, torque arm mount, trans mount or a couple other things
Old 10-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

well it sounds like it was from right under me but I was hoping it was the torque arm...=(
Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

After just talking with my friend who was in the car with me, he said it was more towards the rear of the car...he said alittle of the noise was under us but most of it came more from the back.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

may be the torque arm mount or the trans mount (mine went and sounded that way), might wanna take a look, if its comin more from the rear it may be where the torque arm mounts to the rear end
Old 10-09-2006, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Would I feel the trans shaking at all? What should I check when I look, lose bolts?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

for which one?
Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Both of them
Old 10-10-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

the trans mount may have to be taken out to be looked at, the torque arm can just be done on a visual, just get under the car and take a look with a flash light and a mirror if you need it to see the top part where it mounts to the rear
Old 10-10-2006, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

put it up in the air. you might have broke your rear end or your tranny. but just put it in the air and check it out. if you don't see anything pop off the cover on the rear end and check out your third member. also look at the axles will your at it.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Staging Lane

Ok this is what I think I have concluded...its not the tranny or rear end but under a launch like condition from even a low rpm level i get this thumping, it's like the torque arm but it doesnt seem loose.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Teching In

I've broken my trans mount 3 times and it sounds like a loud thump right behind the center console, under that hump on the rear floorboard, and only when i first start going. it didn't bump after i got going. I hear the stock one's break very easily. it's about a $120 fix at the big name tranny shops. Don't know if that helps. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it happen when you are gradually rolling at like 2k then rip on it? Mine makes the same freakin noise! It thumps loud then I shift to 2nd and its fine. Then If I grab third it will do another thump. I took it to the dealer today and they told me it was the header hitting the frame????? I kinda thought it was coming from the rear of my car too. Keep me updated I'm on the same boat!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

it could be the y pipe. mine hits sometimes and makes a loud banging sound. does it happen everytime you take off?
Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Launching!

If it is a single clunk as you take off then I would look at the transmission mount. If it feels like driving over a large washboard when accelerating then it is most likely wheel hop. Since you just installed drag radials you could try playing with the tire pressure if this just started happening. I hate to just throw parts at a problem but it might also be time for lower control arms and/or torque arm. All this is just my opinion but hope it helps.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by smg267
Does it happen when you are gradually rolling at like 2k then rip on it? Mine makes the same freakin noise! It thumps loud then I shift to 2nd and its fine. Then If I grab third it will do another thump. I took it to the dealer today and they told me it was the header hitting the frame????? I kinda thought it was coming from the rear of my car too. Keep me updated I'm on the same boat!
It has only happened so far under these conditions...With drag radials on at any take off from a dead stop. Today it didn't make any when I was off the clutch and on the gas real quick. But if I were to launch it at any rpm like 2k and up it get a bit of thumping, louder and more thumping at a higher launch rpm. It did do it once when I banged it into second. But from a roll nothing, street tires nothing. I totally at a loss.

Quick Reply: Wheel hop...banging sound...??