Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Autocross help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross help!

Just joined the SCCA and im running in the autocross events. This means you have to TURN! I just put on a set of Brembo drilled rotors and Hawk HPS pads on my WS6 T/A. They work great but I need suspension help! Anyone out there run autocross?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have gone with blank rotors for that use. I was turning rotors purple at autocross events, you probably won't go at it that hard yet, but eventually you will and they might crack on you at that point.

What mods are on the car right now? List everything, (air lid, no cats, etc) and we'll try to figure out what class you'll be in. If you're lucky, you are stock enough to run F-stock. If you have SFC's, you're already headed for Street modified (lets hope you don't have SFC's). So, what have you got? We'll try to help. There are many of us who run autocross events on this board, I'm sure we can offer at least some assistance.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Teching In

I have a stock 2001 T/A WS6 with T-56 trans and Brembo rotors and Hawk HPS pads. Thats all
Old 10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, I'll have to look, I think the WS6 gets to play in Super Stock... That's still not terrible. The reason that's not terrible is that many of these cars seem to have SFC's installed on them and that kicks them into upper advanced classes and you'll wind up in with some really, really fast cars (not a great place to learn). And, you could still move up to ESP (E Street Prepared) at some point in the future (where these cars do pretty well).

I'd show up, tell them you're new and ask for help, guidance, etc. You'll be amazed at the stuff you'll learn from the guys around you, and you may get more help than you'll know what to do with (I know my region is great with having novice course walks and such and helping them out).

You'll want to add some air pressure to your tires. Probably 38 or so lbs in the front, maybe close to that in the rear (I haven't run on street tires in so long, I can't begin to give you the proper pressures). You have 17" wheels on your car, correct?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Teching In

17" wheels on z rated tires. What about suspention? I would like to upgrade but would this put me in a class i would not want to run with?
Old 10-18-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

with your WS6, you have better suspension than i do (that's why you are A-stock and not F-stock with us ^_^)... if you get new shocks or springs (anything that changes ride height or doesn't mount in the stock mounts, you get put up with the vettes i think... which is bad news.

i do 40 psi in front, 36 psi in back for autocross... just remember to go back to 34 in front and back after
Old 10-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Launching!

If you want to be a real stickler, I don't think the drilled rotors are legal in stock class, if you take in to account the first part of the stock class rules:

"Alternate components which are normally expendable.......may be used provided they are essentially identical to
the standard parts (e.g. have the same type, size, hardness, weight,
material etc.), are used in the same location, and provide no
performance benefit."

Also, nothing is mentioned under the Brakes heading that allows different rotor types (i.e. Eradispeed rotors). It sounds dumb, but it's the rules

Seeing as how these are your first events tho, I'm sure no one will care.

Otherwise, as the car sits, you are in A-Stock. A-stock is most popular on a national level with C4 Corvettes, S2000's, and Evo/STi's.

If you want to familarize yourself with the rules, download this pdf:
http://www.scca.com/_FileLibrary/Fil...solo_rules.pdf
It will tell you what modifications are legal in stock class, and what bumps you up to Street Prepared, Modified, etc.

In a *very* narrowed down quick-list of what you can do:
Stock = better shocks + better front swaybar + stock size wheels w/DOT R-compounds + cat-back exhaust
Street Prepared = above mods + any wheel/DOT tire + springs + rear swaybar + full exhaust + torque arm + phr + intake mods
Street Modified = hope you make a CEO's $alary

If you feel like you want to stick with autocrossing for a long while, don't start throwing things on your car like rear LCA's or SFC's. Things like that bump you up to classes you don't want to be in.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 135 Likes on 88 Posts

Yep, some of us autocross.... and pretty well.

Happy to help. But, let me say right here and now that internet heresay is NOT the way to setup your car. I'm not saying you have to copy my car, though you can if you like--I don't hide a thing. And I do have the fastest ESP f-body in the country.

Your rotors tossed you out of stock, you now have to run ESP at least. If you do anything else to the car blindly you could find yourself in even higher class, and you don't want that. ESP is the best place to be if you want the most competitive car you can have (being it's a WS6). And FWIW, if you dumped the drilled rotors you'd be in A-Stock, running against S2000's, Boxsters, 993's, C4 Corvette's, etc. It's not competitive there.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh, I couldn't remember if it was in SS or AS, I started to put that it was one or the other, but finally decided (from memory, oops) that it was SS. Good catches guys, I didn't think about the rotors either. I'm "too far gone" with my car to even run ESP, so I haven't looked at the lower level rules in a while (quite rusty on that).

Well, you may as well jump into ESP for now and start learning. It will take a while to get a feel for it, you'll be amazed how fast things happen on course and it will take a while to learn to "see" the course (you'll probably get lost on a few runs, we all did). So, don't get discouraged, and have fun. You'll learn a lot in the process. This is not a sport that you'll pick up in a week, it can take years. Don't let that hold you back, if you enjoy it, keep running.

Quick Reply: Autocross help!