Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Removable center bar for rollbar- worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removable center bar for rollbar- worth it??

Just wondering if anyone here has bought a rollbar setup with a removable center bar. I'll be purchasing a Wolfe 6-point rollbar in the next few months, and I'm torn between getting the rollbar with a welded center bar or a removable one. Can anyone tell me how much the center bar hampers the capacity for rear passengers? Can people get in & out with the center bar in there? I don't plan to drive often with 3 or 4 people in the car, but I think it'd be retarded to have back seats that were completely useless. Might as well just take them out to save the space!! If that's the case, then I'll go with the removable center bar...otherwise, I'll just go with the welded bar to further strengthen the chassis and to make it NHRA legal...
Old 10-20-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Wolf design has the C-pillar bar (main hoop) bolted to the rear floor pan. So that is gonna hinder rear seat access more than the cross bar.

When we build a cage, we attach it to the taller section where the rear seat rests and closer to the side of the car (c-Pillar).

This is a layered section of the uni-body and gives the cage more strength and rigidity. The floor pan is too thin to mount a piece of safety gear, like a cage. JMHO
Old 10-20-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For safety, DO NOT drive with people in the back of a caged or roll bar equipped car. If they hit their head on the bar in an accident, serious damage can result (or worse). It's just not worth the risk. And, that goes "double" for a car with a cross bar in it (their head can whip forward and hit that bar with great speed if the seatbelt doesn't do its job properly).

I'd use a solid bar and take the seat out. Actually, my rear seat is already out, it's about worthless anyway.

Be safe!