Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What do you guys this about this??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006 | 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Default What do you guys this about this??

Edelbrock has recently released a complete suspension kit for late model Camaros. Has anybody got this kit?? I would like to know how good it is since it seems to be pretty well thought out and a good price. Here is the link to it on Summit's page. Edelbrock Kit Maybe the suspension gods can chime in with some insight about it!
Old 10-23-2006 | 04:51 PM
On The Tree

i think for $1000+ you can definitely piece together a better kit.
Old 10-23-2006 | 06:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

I might be a little biased here. But I sell Edelbrock, so I think not....

$1099 is cheap for all those parts. But the issue is a lot of the parts aren't really right. The torque arms are flimsy at the differential mount (right where stock ones tend to break), the all poly LCA's bind the rear suspension in roll (that's not an Edelbrock thing but a type of part thing). The Eibach springs are TBD. LT1? LS1? Note that they are interchangeable, and we do sometimes, but they have one kit for all cars, which spring does it use? And they only make one shock, which spring is it valved for, because there is a BIG difference in spring rates between them. That said, they say the shocks are fine for stock springs which are 25% softer than LS1 Eibachs and 100% softer than LT1 Eibach's. The PHB is poly on both ends, not the ideal for the best lateral location if that's what we want.

I think the phrase "you get what you pay for" rings true here. It's a bunch of parts tossed together and not all of them compliment the others well.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 10-23-2006 | 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'd just piece together the best you can get period, decent for the price but not that great overall
Old 10-23-2006 | 07:54 PM
On The Tree

You guys pretty much hit it I think. Kit seemed REALLY cheap for what all it includes. I am looking for a real nice all around upgrade for my stock suspended LS1 Camaro, at first this looked like a good option. Is there anything is this price range that would be a better option? I am pretty unfamiliar with the suspension on these cars. Thanks!
Old 10-23-2006 | 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KY Z28
You guys pretty much hit it I think. Kit seemed REALLY cheap for what all it includes. I am looking for a real nice all around upgrade for my stock suspended LS1 Camaro, at first this looked like a good option. Is there anything is this price range that would be a better option? I am pretty unfamiliar with the suspension on these cars. Thanks!
Call up Sam Strano at www.stranoparts.com, I think between our components (UMI) and his spring/shock set-ups and with the sale he is currently running he could get you close to that ball park with a MUCH better set-up and more suitable for your needs.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 10-23-2006 | 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Yup take ryans and my advice, call Strano. Sam is a great guy. He talked with me on the phone today for close to an hour, going over my suspension needs and wants. We decided on a plan. He is simply the man and chances are you will hear him mention UMI products , and for good reason, they are awesome products. Either way call Sam.
Old 10-23-2006 | 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also there is this sticky: https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/513475-canyon-carving-street-suspension-setup-review-long.html
Old 10-23-2006 | 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

For $1100, I'd look at something like Koni SA's and 3rd gen Koni SA rears ($750-ish as I remember). UMI PHB ($129-169 depending on what version you go with), a 35mm front sway bar and springs (depending on what you want to do and how low you want the car, or the heater hose mod, skip the springs and go from there).

You won't be too far over budget if you pick options carefully, but you'll be much happier with the results.

This list is a bit of "generic" handling package for these cars. But it's common because it works. If it suits your goals, then it might be what you need, if not, feel free to modify it, after all, it's just a suggestion to give you ideas.
Old 12-30-2006 | 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

But was just wondering what the suspension experts thought of the Edelbrock IAS shock with the correct spring rates?

The reviews I've read so far are a mixed bag. But what I've gathered is great for the street, but a little soft for track and auto-x use.
Old 12-30-2006 | 07:22 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

No thanks on the Edelbrock package.
Old 12-30-2006 | 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

My 2 cents:
I ran edelbrocks shocks on my Silverado. It had hotchkis TVS (springs and bars) and I autocrossed it. I have Koni's on my Camaro. Maybe not a totally fair comparison, but the konis seem MUCH better. And there boxed LCAs seem kinda overkill.

The pic in the link shows a four link set up (upper and lower control arms and a brace kit). I hate it when Summit doesn't even show the pic of the part or parts you are trying to buy.
Old 12-31-2006 | 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subtlez28
My 2 cents:
I ran edelbrocks shocks on my Silverado. It had hotchkis TVS (springs and bars) and I autocrossed it. I have Koni's on my Camaro. Maybe not a totally fair comparison, but the konis seem MUCH better. And there boxed LCAs seem kinda overkill.

The pic in the link shows a four link set up (upper and lower control arms and a brace kit). I hate it when Summit doesn't even show the pic of the part or parts you are trying to buy.
AutoXing a Silverado Must of been fun

So what would you say about just the shocks? Much stiffer then stock?
Old 12-31-2006 | 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, definately stiffer than stock. But stock rode like...well..a pick up truck. You could cross railroad tracks at speed and not feel it. That numbness to the road is a bad thing for performance driving. I felt they were firmer than stock. But with changes to spring rate, ride height and shocks (all at once) its hard to evaluate them.

I can only say I was not wowed by them like I truely am by the Konis. The Konis give you a glued to the road feel, w out being overly harsh. Again its kind of an apple to orange comparison. I'm not disatisfied w the Edelbrocks. Just very impressed by the konis. The other beauty of the Konis SAs is...if they feel to harsh-->you adjust them softer. Change sring rate...no biggy...adjust. i really feel they are worth the extra $.

I 100% agree w Trackbird ...check my sig...we r on the same page and I am VERY happy w my set up!!
**I am also happy w my stock springs (lowered via hose mod /lowere koni perch). And a performance minded alignment will help alot (0 toe -1.5 camber lots of + castor)**