Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Not the normal SFC thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not the normal SFC thread

Background BS:
I've read at least 30 pages about the debate whether SFCs are neccessary or not, but my case is a bit different. I bought my car with a rebuilt title seeing as it was totaled sometime in the past. The guy I bought if from said he totaled it hitting a horse (exterior damage only) and showed pictures and a reciept to prove he hit something. Well, he lied. That's not how it was totalled and I really have no clue now if there was frame damage.

Question: When I'm driving at 60+mph, highways especially, the car does not handle well at all. In fact, when changing lanes or when crossing uneven lanes, it's almost as if the car is being pulled in different directions and feels a bit unstable. Is this normal for fbodys or could this be because it was totalled? Does this sound like something SFCs could cure or would upgraded shocks/sway bars show the most improvement?

By the way, the car only has 45k on it nearly bone stock.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Your shocks suck. It's what shocks do, they add stability to the car. SFC's are chassis parts, not suspension parts, and it's pretty clear to me your suspension is not so hot. It's well known how bad the stock shocks are, and the bars aren't as good as they could be. Meanwhile there are lots of cars that handle really well, including my own, that do not have SFC's.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:58 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd have the frame and alignment checked out. From what you describe, it sounds like the geometry of the suspension is out of alignment. It may be as simple as a front end alignment, or it could be something more like new front a-arms, possibly the k-member, or rear lower control arms, or it could end up being something as serious as the body/frame (unibody car) is not straight.

I'd ask around and find a good place that can put the car on a jig and see what the story is.

Good luck.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Certainly if you aren't sure a check on a frame machine would be smart, followed by a pull if it needs it. But if your body panels all fit well and you aren't trashing tires which would indicate something is really out of alignment, I don't think the car is all that twisted (and maybe not at all. On a frame machine can tell you.

I still say it's the shocks. It's classic.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Your shocks suck. It's what shocks do, they add stability to the car. SFC's are chassis parts, not suspension parts, and it's pretty clear to me your suspension is not so hot. It's well known how bad the stock shocks are, and the bars aren't as good as they could be. Meanwhile there are lots of cars that handle really well, including my own, that do not have SFC's.
I realize the shocks are the reaon for bad handling but could they contribute to the car feeling like it is being pulled in different directions when changing lanes? I know my front alignment is off by the uneven tire wear, so that be a contributor as well?

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'd ask around and find a good place that can put the car on a jig and see what the story is.

Good luck.
I'm having a guy look at the frame while the rear bumper is being painted this coming week. He said he could tell me quite a bit about how the car was wrecked and if there is any remaining damage once he looks at it.

And thanks for the fast replies!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Teching In

back to sfc's ...

How much torsional rigidity does the third point add? I was thinking of putting in a 6 point cage, and figure that a 2 point tubular would be a good way to eliminate the rest of the flex. If a 3 point really offers much more strength, I would get that instead of a 2 point ...
Old 10-27-2006, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by logikal6785
back to sfc's ...

How much torsional rigidity does the third point add? I was thinking of putting in a 6 point cage, and figure that a 2 point tubular would be a good way to eliminate the rest of the flex. If a 3 point really offers much more strength, I would get that instead of a 2 point ...
nice hijack
Old 10-27-2006, 02:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by AngryJ
I realize the shocks are the reaon for bad handling but could they contribute to the car feeling like it is being pulled in different directions when changing lanes? I know my front alignment is off by the uneven tire wear, so that be a contributor as well?
Yes and yes.

Old 10-27-2006, 02:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by logikal6785
back to sfc's ...

So if you think the car is in dire need of bracing, and you are going to bother with SFC's in the first place. Just why, for the small price difference, wouldn't you put on 3 points? I never get this.....

Old 10-27-2006, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

So if you think the car is in dire need of bracing, and you are going to bother with SFC's in the first place. Just why, for the small price difference, wouldn't you put on 3 points? I never get this.....
they are more than twice the price
Old 10-27-2006, 02:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And at "more than twice the price" are we talking many hundreds of dollars? No.

$259-ish for 3-point is chump change considering what most folks toss into their cars. And if you're going to spend $150 for something that will stay on the car forever, and is such a big deal (to some), why not spend a little more and just do the whole deal as best you can?

Then again, I've found logic doesn't always play a part in decisions.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

And at "more than twice the price" are we talking many hundreds of dollars? No.

$259-ish for 3-point is chump change considering what most folks toss into their cars. And if you're going to spend $150 for something that will stay on the car forever, and is such a big deal (to some), why not spend a little more and just do the whole deal as best you can?

Then again, I've found logic doesn't always play a part in decisions.
I guess it goes back to benefit/$, and from what i've read about SFCs, it's not worth it. Anyway, I won't debate with someone as knowledgable as yourself, plus I'd like for the thread to stay on topic. Thanks for your input though
Old 10-27-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

my 2000 TA has the same problem that your describing. i replaced the front shocks with new oem shocks that i had laying around and it made no difference but thats not saying much considering how shitty these shocks are from the factory.
i have even tire wear and the car tracks straight.
it could possibly be tie rods but when i had a new front sway bar put in we didnt notice anything wrong with them.
i was told that these cars tend to follow the ruts and imperfections in the road but i also have a 1999 camaro that has alot of engine\suspension mods with much wider tires and even though it tends to follow the ruts its nowhere as bad as my TA.

good luck with figuring it out
Old 10-28-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tires can make a huge difference as far as your car wanting to wander on uneven roads. Mine was terrible with the cheap tires that came with my wheels, I have had Goodyears and Firestones on it since they wore out and it's like driving a different car.