Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Wear Indicator Orientation (paging Dr. Trackbird)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wear Indicator Orientation (paging Dr. Trackbird)

Otherwise known as the squeeler by some...the wear indicator on the LS1 pads, does it have an orientation? If so, what is it?

My right side indicator is touching the rotor on HARD right turns (when not braking at the apex of the turn). Could anybody be of assistance?

Should the wear indicator be on the top or bottom also should it be on the inside our outside? I'm thinking I have it set up wrong.

I haven't torn anything down yet...so it MAY not be the wear indicator in fact the more I think about it it's probably something else....but just in case.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As I remember, it usually goes on the "front" of the pad (the leading edge that the rotor turns into). On the front wheels, that would put it on the bottom. If there is any taper in the pads as they wear, it would be on the first part of the pad to contact the spinning rotor (the pad spins into the bottom of the pads since the caliper is mounted on the back side of the spindle). So, I'd put them there (and I always put them on the inside of the rotor, the inboard pad location).

With that said, it's been so long since I've run pads with squeakers on them, I could possibly be wrong (but I don't think that will be the case). Race pads don't use squeakers, and that's about all I run these days.....

I hope that helps.