Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

subframe connectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 10:47 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subframe connectors

i have a set of umi tubular SFC on my car right now, they tuck in nice but since they are tubular they seem like they have a little bit of flex in them, not a lot but just a tad, i dont know if its a problem or not. they just dont seem right to me

they are welded in and my question is, do you think i can grinnd off the welds and put in a different set of sfc, and should i bother even doing it.

should i bother going to boxed kind, i really like the 3 point kind, but then ill have to go back to a y-pipe setup.

next year when i have the car going, i plan to have a much more "agressive" setup, and plan on some hard launches, and i want everything to be right before i twist my turd in half.

give me some opinions on what i should do,

thanks
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

I am not trying to be rude at all, but you are not flexing them, don't worry. I actually don't know IF you were how you could tell? But I insure you they are not.

Mitchntx on this board is running those SFC's on his CMC car, maybe he can chime and in as well that he is having no issues with them. We also run them on many quick drag cars.

Again, I am not trying to be rude but I think it is in your head

Thanks,
Ryan

Last edited by UMI Performance; 11-07-2006 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

I am not trying to be rude at all, but you are not flexing them, don't worry. I actually don't know IF you were how you could tell? But I insure you they are not.

Mitchntx on this board is running those SFC's on his CMC car, maybe he can chime and in as well that his they are not flexing for him. We also run them on many quick drag cars.

Again, I am not trying to be rude but I think it is in your head

Thanks,
Ryan
maybe it is, i dont know, but after putting them in, it just seems like at the points where the welds are on the back of the sfc by the lower control arm just seems like it had a little it of flex.

but this is why i posted this up, and wanted to get other peoples opinions before i started grinding welds away and bought something else from you guys
Old 11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Resident

I dont have sfc but I have a question maybe pertaining to this tread.....can the car NOT be straight when you put sfc on, and when you weld it, it keeps the car in that unstraight position???
Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 AM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

yes, however your car is positioned when you weld in sfc is how the car will stay, it will not flex back at all
Old 11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

I actually don't know IF you were how you could tell?
when i jacked the car up from the back, it seems like they flexed just a tad bit where the weld is on the SFC because it is tubular, i originally bought tubular SFC because i only planed on a mild setup, no super lauches, but now ive changed that and a tubular SFC setup just seems like it might have some flex because i plan on running a slick setup on a stick shift car which would be much more violent on the frame.

i think i should have bought boxed in the first place because it is much more rigid, but i love how the tubular ones just tuck right in place, its looks really clean, because my buddy with a camaro has some sort of boxed ones and you can see them hang down a little
Old 11-07-2006, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Again, I insure you the SFC is not flexing. When you jack only side of the vehicle up you are putting alot of stress on vehicle and binding it, the SFC is now putting stress in the control arm mount since it attaches two parts of the vehicle together. The SFC will move and/or bend the control arm mount before it it actually flexes. Mild set-up or drag set-up they are fine. Those SFC's are built from DOM 1-3/4" x 0.120" wall tubing with 3/16" mounting plates in the rear and 1/4" mounting plates in the front. The rear mounting point is twice as thick as the factory frame and the front is more then 3 times as thick.

I am not sure what else to say. If you feel you need to spend more money and remove them for a "stronger" set-up then got for it. But I think it would be very silly and a waste of money for no gain. That is my honest opinion.

Hope that helps some,
Ryan
Old 11-07-2006, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

I'm with Ryan - your car isn't flexing with those tubular SFCs welded in. I have seen MULTIPLE 10 second cars running your exact connectors. You have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:43 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ill take your guys word for it, but i wasnt sure, so thats why i asked.

thanks
Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

so if i have umi bolt on how should i jack up my car without putting stress on the lca mounts
Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were your sub frames installed with the car on a normal lift? Or on a Drive on style lift?

Ive always been told to use a drive on to keep the chaise under load...
Old 02-17-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

drive on, to make the sure the load is there and that the car is straight.

if u dont have a lift, i used front ramps and rear jack stands under the rear as far out as i could get them, worked fine, but i used bolts on's which are more forgiving.