Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

My UMI frame connectors arrived today. A small review...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My UMI frame connectors arrived today. A small review...

I've been wanting to buy sub-frame connectors for my '88 Iroc-Z ever since I bought it. Unfortunately, I've been spending money on everything else instead

Well, enough was enough. The squeaks and rattles over bumps, turns and whenever I'd enter a driveway or parking lot, have been getting progressively worse over the past year and it's gotten to the point where it's driving me up the wall. It feels as if my car's going to split in half at any given moment

It's really bad in the hatch area as well as the dash so I decided to finally do something about it.

I placed an order for UMI's boxed steel SFC's last week 'cause they were having a sale so I figured it was then or never. They arrived today in a box the size of a full-sized casket.

After spending nearly 20 minutes cutting my way through 14.5 square-foot mile's worth of bubble wrap I was finally able to reach the connector's hidden within.

I have yet to install them but what I can do is give a partial review of what I can see. Here goes...

As I said, the packaging was well done, perhaps a little on the "over-kill" side, but at least I know these could have been thrown off a rocky cliff and not get scratched. A ridiculous amount paper stuffing inside the box on top of the already over-wrapped bubble wrap. Even the ends were wrapped in cardboard to prevent chaffing... Nice job.

The construction of these SFC's is easily on par with anything from BMR or Spohn. I was a bit hesitant at first to buy from UMI as my only experience with suspension/chassis companies until now with my other car (4th gen Formula Firebird) was exclusively with BMR/Spohn so I was kind of worried that these UMI piece's wouldn't stack up with the competition.

All my worries were laid to rest when I finally held these frames in my greedy little hands....

The connections are all MIG welded and the welds themselves are straight and clean. Very professional looking. The boxed steel tubing itself measure's 2.000” x 1.250” x 0.120” which means they're strong enough to support the weight of your average sized sky-scraper

The bright red powder-coating looks really nice as well, it's a shame these will be hidden underneath the car where nobody can see them. They're so nice to look at. The mounting plates are very thick (I measured 0.188" thickness) and the total overall weight of the entire set-up is 33 lbs. Yeah, that's a pretty hefty weight to add on to your car, but the improved stiffness in the chassis and the elimination of all those annoying squeaks and rattles will make it worth it. Besides, it gives me another excuse to buy more performance parts to make up for the added weight

* Passenger side brace - 17 lbs
* Driver's side - 14 lbs
* "Add-on" brace which connects on the passenger side and goes over the y-pipe - 2 lb

It even came with two new nuts and bolts to connect the braces to the control arm mounting brackets and a full colour UMI catalog with their entire 2006 parts line-up.....

I'm very pleased with this purchase and hope to install them over the next week. As with all my other mod's, I'll be sure to photograph and document everything and post my results for all to see. Stay tuned for my installation review coming soon....

So far though, these appear to be a very high quality set of sub-frame connectors. Very "beefy" in their construction and I my IROC will be thanking me after I install them.....

Last edited by '93 LT1; 11-19-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Here are a few more.....

Notice how bright the powder coating is and how clean the welds are. This is truly a first class product. Big thumbs up for UMI.

Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

Hey they do look good. I myself have a 86 Iroc that I've been meaning to put sub frames on. I have a hard top so I have more leaway than a t-top would. I'm not driving it right now anyways as it's in the building re-building stages. But I definately am going to get those sub frames connected once my suspension is all done. Is yours a hard top, t-top or conv?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

It's a hard-top too but there's still a major need for increasing the rigidity of the chassis. Like I said before, my car squeaks and rattles like there's no tomorrow. It's kind of embarrassing when I have passengers in the car asking me why my car is squeaking so much.

I tell them it's totally normal. "All super high-performance car's have those squeaks" I don't know if they believe me or not, but I tell them that anyway
Old 11-17-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice, looks good, im gonna get myself a pair of those sfc's for my car too, also in red, it'll look nice. UMI= great product!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2006, 09:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by '93 LT1
After spending nearly 20 minutes cutting my way through 14.5 square-foot mile's worth of bubble wrap :p I was finally able to reach the connector's hidden within.

As I said, the packaging was well done, perhaps a little on the "over-kill" side, but at least I know these could have been thrown off a rocky cliff and not get scratched. A ridiculous amount paper stuffing inside the box on top of the already over-wrapped bubble wrap. Even the ends were wrapped in cardboard to prevent chaffing... Nice job.
Phil, thanks for the great write-up and please reply back once isntalled. I am really glad you are pleased with them.

We like to make sure when a item reaches you it is just as good as shape as when it left us But after seeing how well we pack a item that should explain to many why sometimes it may take a day or two to ship and why can't ship items for nothing.

Thanks again!
Ryan

Quick Reply: My UMI frame connectors arrived today. A small review...