Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ground Control or Gloabal West

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ground Control or Gloabal West

Anybody using a Ground Control or Global West coil over kit.Likes and dislikes about either one.

Thanks

Last edited by rocket22; 10-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ground Control here, no problems whatsoever. I LOVE the fact that I can raise and lower my car.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

how does the top of the spring bolt together,does it use the stock spring mount
Old 11-07-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rocket22
how does the top of the spring bolt together,does it use the stock spring mount
I didn't do the work, I paid Dick Guldstrand's shop to do it, here's some pics:

Right front Koni, notice how the spring sits on a threaded adjuster with a big nut that you turn to raise/lower the vehicle, this sits on a snap ring located around the lower part of the shock...

The upper part of the GC setup has an aluminum top hat, this sits on top of the front springs and it is secured on the top of the spring by the spring compressing the aluminum top hat against the mounting area of the shocks, does that make sense???

This is the left front shock/spring combo...
BTW, these springs are Eibach Racing Series (ERS) springs...

The rear springs are conventional Eibach Prokit rears, but I had them powdercoated red because they came unpainted...See how the spring sits on that adjustable hat? That's it...

This is the left rear setup...

Hope this helps.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Make's sense,thanks for pic's.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any dislikes?
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Any dislikes?
Other than the fact that springs settle, and my rears did, I just have to bring it up about 1/4" in the rear and it'll be fine...

I LOVE the fact that I can have it basically slammed for now, and knowing full well that I can buy LT's and raise all four corners for additional ground clearance, that's VERY cool to me!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I meant dislikes in terms of adjusting being a PITA, spring rates not what you expected/wanted, etc.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Adjusting is a PITA on mine...and one of my rear perches failed on me. When I get new springs sometime next year, it won't be a coil-over setup. I set them once, and never messed with them again. And I mess with everything...
Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 AM
Banned

I've found the fronts are a little difficult adjusting sometimes. It only wants to get up so high and then it's difficult to turn. Maybe some lube would help there, I'll have to try it.

All the parts are aluminum, very light, but seem soft, I dunno. I like my setup. Much better than the prokit. I'm running 140 lb. rears and 550 lb. fronts. I especially like how the back feels.

You can get whatever spring rate you want!

BTW, WS6store.com is the place to get this setup.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Or you could try the set of "regular" type lowering springs I made. Rates and ride heights were determined from my use and knowledge of about a bazillion springs and heights, including my own car with coil-overs.

Rates are 550 front, 150 rear, they are lighter than the coil-over/weight jacker setup by a few pounds, and they put you at a sensible 1.25" lower height. Low as you can go for more negative camber, lower Cg, etc, but not so low that you screw up you geometry and are left with not workable ride height. Also, if you are looking @ using Koni's, not modification to the shocks needed either. And my springs, they are cheaper too.

I did the springs as an alternative to having to go coil-overs. No you can't change height or rate. But those things were figured based on the best combination of things I've used.... and I use pretty much the same rates on my car with the coil-overs, though right now I'm @ 600 in front, but due to tire changes I'll be coming right back to 550 for next year.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-08-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I meant dislikes in terms of adjusting being a PITA, spring rates not what you expected/wanted, etc.
Got it...
I have the 500# fronts & 150# rears, the ride is great, comfortable, very responsive...

But the great handling AND feel is mostly due to the Koni's, they play a MUCH bigger role with comfort and responsiveness as opposed to the springs...
I mean shoot, I could have kept the factory spring rate and had my car looking like a 4X4 with the ride height so high AND my car would still feel great and handle great because of the Koni's...TRUE STORY!!!

In hindsight I would have ordered 600 fronts and 175 rears, or maybe even stiffer 650 fronts and 200 rears, but that's just my personal tastes, I like stiffness in my suspension...

I don't think that it's that much of a PITA, bottom line I would remove the tires, loosten(sp??) the allen screw that holds the bolt in place and either raise it up or down...
Old 11-19-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Adjusting is a PITA on mine...and one of my rear perches failed on me. When I get new springs sometime next year, it won't be a coil-over setup. I set them once, and never messed with them again. And I mess with everything...
how and why did your rear perch fail on you? not because of the coil over kit was it?
Old 11-19-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the ground controls for right at a year now. Got them thanksgiving weekend last year. I have absolutely ZERO complaints. I installed them myself and they had actually had about a years use on a previous owners car too. I have mine dropped just over 2" front and back with them and even w/ 18's, LT's, ORY, and a cutout, I rarely have rubbing issues. I've driven my fair share of lowered cars so its not that big of a deal to me. I absolutely love the stance and look of them. I am partial to agressively lowered cars though. The 1-1.5 on these cars just doesn't do it for me.

With the adjustment fork they give you in the package, I can have my car completely adjusted in about an hour. Granted its not extremely easy, but raising it for a longer trip or making the tiny adjustments that need to be made as time goes on are not that big of a deal at all.

Quick Reply: Ground Control or Gloabal West