Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Where to set KYB AGX shocks??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would toss away whatever Bilstein and KYB tell you for recommendation. Let me guess, they told you to get their product they sell? What you get from them is marketing, not advice.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They gave me their actual compression and rebound numbers.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 142 Likes on 92 Posts

If you ask folks who are my customers specifically why, I think you'd tend to get a pretty specific answer. The issue is most folks aren't inclined to just give a million details without being asked, or if some random guy hops on LS1tech.com and says why should I run this.

If you want specific answers, people need to ask more specific questions.

I don't really know why you find it amazing that a company can make crap and be in business. There are lots of junk products in this world. And the fact is KYB isn't going anywhere as they are HUGE worldwide company with OEM contracts. Just because they make a line of shocks or two that aren't so hot doesn't mean they'll go out of business, does it?

Folks bought their F-bodies, but they don't have the best build quality in the world. GM thought the DeCarbons were ok, but most of us don't. The examples go on and on.

And you talked to me, Bilstein and KYB. Fine, but Bilstein and KYB are out to sell Bilstein and KYB respectively, are they not? I'd like to sell you parts too, but I sell both as well at others. I only want to sell you what works the best for the task at hand, and because I have options you can feel more comfortable in knowing it's not because I *can't* sell you some other part that might really be better.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 11-05-2007, 04:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by PopaPork
They gave me their actual compression and rebound numbers.
And that means what to you? At what piston speed? What force are they measured in? See, number are not the story here.

Numbers as they give them out are generally at about 13-15 in/sec of piston speed... what happens @ 5? Do you know, or did they tell you that body roll and pitch are low piston-speed events, and that ends by about 5-6 in/sec?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
And that means what to you? At what piston speed? What force are they measured in? See, number are not the story here.

Numbers as they give them out are generally at about 13-15 in/sec of piston speed... what happens @ 5? Do you know, or did they tell you that body roll and pitch are low piston-speed events, and that ends by about 5-6 in/sec?
And right there....shows why he is the man...I have no idea what he's talking about...but I'm on board.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This was no means a bash on your or anything about your company or your springs. All I said in the begining it was nice to see someone say the like a different shock then the big 3 on the boards, that is all. Usually when someone asks or mentions something else, they get 15 posts after them saying they're junk, the suck, get bla bla bla.
And just for the record 1) I have asked people specific questions through PMs and I have read peoples post who have asked specific questions only to get junk answers. 2) I will admit I do not have the foggiest idea what the hell you just talked about in your post about piston speed and what ever. But since I wasn't getting the answers from this board that I was looking for I took it upon my self to go out and research the issue my self.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I understand where you are coming from..... But is it just possible that sometimes something is really that much better? I'm a very skeptical person in real life, I'm a tester, seeing is believing with me. Again, if you wonder why folks say something, ask them. This is the internet, every single person on here will have an opinion. Some might say the sky is purple, and someone else might believe it. All it takes to put up your opinion is a username and a password. The devil is in the details. Ask about the details, read the responses, or lack there of and see if it makes sense. Ask what they are comparing too, there are a million ways to sniff out bull****.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Got my KYB's because of a badass discount at work. No complaints yet. Will try 6 and 7 though
Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had called ws6 store/tire rack and other places and it seemed to me they were hoping I wouldn't go with the kyb's for my vehicle when I brought them up. I guess their a good shock for the price but highly not recommended... I dished out for the koni's b/c I do plan to have my vehicle for a long time and want to get it done right this time... I already swapped springs twice and payed $160 each time for labor but now I have blown shocks (bilsteins). I think I made the right choice
Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do the koni's feel compared to the bilsteins? what spriongs are you running too?
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fenix999
How do the koni's feel compared to the bilsteins? what spriongs are you running too?
Let me put it this way. I had a co-worker that had bilstein HDs and he took a ride in my car with Konis and stock springs (before the Strano springs). A few weeks later, he dumped the HDs and got the Konis... he was a drag racer too.

The reason so many of us on here say to talk to Sam is because he knows his ****, and the reason alot of us run Konis is because they are the best shock for the price. period. You can run HDs or KYBs or any other shock out there, but its not going to give you the roll control and adjustability options of the Konis.

You can get whatever you want, just know that you get what you pay for.

To the original poster: I have not run KYBs but if i were you i would set them at full stiff and adjust from there. good luck
Old 01-22-2008, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Got mine at 8 all the way around
Old 01-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Launching!

How long are these shocks supposed to last? Specifically the Konis...
Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The Konis have a lifetime warranty for the original owner
Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Teching In

I ran 4 in the front 3 in the back when I bought my car with KYBs and Sportlines. It was constantly slamming the bump stops and cornered like my b-body on stock springs. The KYBs worked better when I put Sam's springs on, but they were still harsh and uncontrolled in transitions. You can dial them all the way up to 8 if you want but they only get harsher with little effect on rebound.

Quick Reply: Where to set KYB AGX shocks??