Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Question for UMI

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for UMI

These are about 18 months old, maybe 10,000 miles, about 5 quarter mile runs, never run hard around corners, mostly stock car, nothing enough to break parts. It's stored in a garage.
These were on the passenger side, on the panhard bar end and on the LCA.
The bushing material crumbles, every bushing is at least split front and rear even the ones that look ok.
Any ideas?
Any guesses on bushing brand and part #?

Old 11-26-2006, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Old 11-26-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

defective batch?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:22 PM
10 Second Club

What kind of grease did you use on them?
Old 11-26-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

were they properly lubed?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:09 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ouch!!! I don't think that's UMI's fault, but rather a nasty side effect of poly bushings. They get hard over time and if they aren't free to move, they will bind and tear. That's why I switched back to stock lower control arms with rubber bushings. The car actually rides better than when I had the poly/poly lca's in there (BMR's).
Old 11-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have UMI's non adjustable lca's with the rubber bushings, no problems so far.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Banned

I used Valvoline Cerulean grease once, thats all was needed, there is still enough grease in them. They don't specify a grease type.
I don't think they would harden and fail within 18 months, and they shouldn't bind, they have steel spacers that prevent over tightening them plus they did move free with one end installed.
I have 11 year old generic poly bushings on a more powerful car and they look like the day they were installed.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01sscam
+1
Old 11-26-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

About the grease I found this "Polyurethane is resistant to oil and solvents and outperforms metal in chemical resistance. It is also resistant to radiation and is stable under high vacuum conditions.

These properties allow polyurethane to be used in some of the harshest of environments with minimal deterioration."
From here.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01sscam
So might they sell the rubber bushings to retrofit the lca's that originally had poly bushings?
Old 11-26-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Veteran

i have the non adjustable lcas and i used the marine grease for them. 2 pumps per bushing, and i greased the faces of the bushings and i get no noise or binding. i have poly/poly.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to take a moment to mention that it's always nice to give companies a chance to take care of things first. Not that sharing information is bad and things do break on occasion, but I'd always suggest calling any vendor first and then you may or may not want to (or need to) post. When I break things, I contact the manufacturer and let them know, then we try to work it out privately. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone or send an e-mail (not you specifically, but in general). I have talked to vendors on many occasions and found that they were informed about someone having a problem in a thread somewhere and that nobody so much as called them to discuss this issue first. Again, sharing information isn't bad, but it's nice to work with a company first hand to correct an issue.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

Just my thoughts...The UMI parts did not fail. UMI does not make the bushings, they do supply them. They use Energy Suspension bushings, which I have not mentioned.
I'm looking for input about why these failed, info on how to get new bushings, advice on how to keep the new ones from failing, I think it would be easier to go through UMI for the sizes, energy suspension has a standard size for aftermarket f-body lca's and they are bigger than what I have. I only posted the name because I seen a recent post from UMI here and was looking for input from them. Never did I say anything negative about anyone.

Originally Posted by trackbird
I have to take a moment to mention that it's always nice to give companies a chance to take care of things first. Not that sharing information is bad and things do break on occasion, but I'd always suggest calling any vendor first and then you may or may not want to (or need to) post. When I break things, I contact the manufacturer and let them know, then we try to work it out privately. Don't be afraid to pick up the phone or send an e-mail (not you specifically, but in general). I have talked to vendors on many occasions and found that they were informed about someone having a problem in a thread somewhere and that nobody so much as called them to discuss this issue first. Again, sharing information isn't bad, but it's nice to work with a company first hand to correct an issue.

Just my thoughts.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks Trackbird and Byunspeed

Actually those bushings aren't Energy Suspension, when we first started we were using a different brand and had switched to Energy Suspension shortly down the road, that was a couple years ago. I have never seen a set do that though and that amazes me.. I have no idea what would have caused that and I sorry to see that.

I will gladly send you a new set of bushings to replace them. I have a few sets of those older control arm bushings here in stock. However I need to look around some, I don't think I have anymore of those older panhard bushings... The new bushings we used are much larger and will not work.

I will look around and send you a PM on Tuesday, I will be out of the office until then. We will get you fixed up somehow

Thanks and hope everyone had a great Holiday,
Ryan
Old 11-27-2006, 05:31 AM
Banned

Thanks I appreciate that. The LCA and panhard bushings are the same size. Just the steel inner sleeves are different but I can reuse those.
I guess the place I got these from had them sitting around a while if they are an older design.
EDIT# I'd be happy to buy them, or if you have a part# I've looked at online catalogs and can't seem to find the right size.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 11-27-2006 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

The new bushings we used are much larger and will not work.

Thanks and hope everyone had a great Holiday,
Ryan
Do you think I would be better off with a new set of LCA's and panhard bar with the bigger bushings? What about a set with the rubber bushings?
I almost just ordered a set to avoid the hassle of searching for bushings, but I went out and bought a set of used stock lca's and phb so theres no hurry now.
I'm not necessarily looking for a deal or free parts, if theres a better design out there I'd rather buy the whole set of lca's at regular cost. Or do you think these bars with the smaller bushings will work ok?

Quick Reply: Question for UMI