Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

DRAG/Good handling car? I need both, imput needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

What's the differnce in QA1 gen f shocks and series R shocks,are QA1 branded shocks differnet that Carrera's,there all made by the same company.
Old 12-07-2006 | 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I love the ride, I just want to know if it would help weight transfer at all without affecting the ride...just a little fine tuning

Can you explain what softer springs in front and/or rear should do in theory? I want to understand before I go out and waste my time swapping them out, when someone on here knows and could tell me in 10 seconds.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the way the car rides and I love the adjustability of the Koni SA's. I just want to know if there is anything else I can do to the shock/spring setup to get closer to what I want--a reliable setup that rides smooth, handles at least a little better than stock, and transfers weight as well as possible when the shocks are dialed down all the way. If V6 springs in the rear could help this out a little, I might try it. But I don't understand what softer springs in the rear (or front) SHOULD do. For instance, if you had stiff springs in the rear and put softer springs in, should it transfer weight better? Are there any disadvantages to this? Or what would going from a stiff front spring to a soft front spring do, in theory (both good and bad)?

Thanks for the help, I just want to understand a little better, that's all.
Old 12-07-2006 | 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
That's very short sighted.... Really. GM historically does a TERRIBLE job on things like shocks. And cars are not just designed by engineers, but by accountants. And often neither of them have a clue about how things *should* work. I know GM, Daimler-Chrysler, and Ford engineers. Some are very smart, some are clueless. And I get to hear stories about how what they wanted got nixed because of money, or how a clueless bastard didn't know better.

Further, you must quantify what "stiffer" is, what "hooking" is. What "street" tires are. No a Pep-boys tire won't grab very well in general, but it will hook better on concrete than a Drag radial will on slick asphalt. There is a reason I don't do any setups online, and I want to TALK to people. Assumptions are horrible and lead folks astray. And often times they need a little help to acutally figure out what they REALLY want.

To say that the best answer is stock is no answer at all IMHO. The driveability of the car stock sucks. And we can make that a lot, LOT better without any change in traction (also likely better), and with an improvement in both ride and stability.
Hey there sam.... calm down there buddy. Nobody is questioning you super duper amazing cancer curing suspension parts. All I was trying to offer was the easiest way to answer the thread starter's question. Obviously stock suspension doesn't cure cancer either by any means, but it's an easiest and cheapest solution. About the engineering, I was attempting some humor but I guess this is too serious of a matter for that.

Also I know were all "complete morons" on this site, but I think most people would understand what I meant. Meaning "all things being equal under ideal conditions"

Stock suspension is by no means the best answer but it is the "easiest and cheapest" for someone who wants mostly drag traction but won't feel like their gonna die under high speed conditions. Read the guys first post. Is your suspension great? yeah sure, but is it the only answer period definitely not. That would be a short sited assumption in my honest opinion.
Old 12-07-2006 | 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I feel dumb so I edited this

Last edited by slick1851; 12-07-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:27 PM
10 Second Club

My car has stock shocks and springs with no front sway bar and a anti-roll bar. I cut 1.47 60ft. If I wanted my car to handle like stock again all it would take is a couple of hours to put back the front sway bar and maybe swap out the anti-roll bar for the stock rear sway bar. The rear sway bar swap may not even be needed to maintain stock handling over the anti-roll bar but if it does it would be as easy as one afternoon of wrenching to make the
Old 12-07-2006 | 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Maybe I worded my statment wrong? Sorry if I confuse some of you guys
Old 12-07-2006 | 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Maybe I worded my statment wrong? Sorry if I confuse some of you guys
You can have both if you don't mind a afternoon of making some small changes after you get back from the track. I don't know if it is possible to have both at all times. If I hooked up my front sway bar I would be in the 1.5's as far as my 60ft with stock handling. My car in stock form handles pretty damn good. You could have stock handling then bolt up a set of 28" slicks and cut 1.5 60ft.'s
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a reason I don't do any setups online, and I want to TALK to people.
I'll be giving you a call next month.
Old 12-08-2006 | 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

He'll definitely talk to you. Great guy on the phone, that's why I bought my Koni's from him.
Old 12-08-2006 | 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
My car has stock shocks and springs with no front sway bar and a anti-roll bar. I cut 1.47 60ft. If I wanted my car to handle like stock again all it would take is a couple of hours to put back the front sway bar and maybe swap out the anti-roll bar for the stock rear sway bar. The rear sway bar swap may not even be needed to maintain stock handling over the anti-roll bar but if it does it would be as easy as one afternoon of wrenching to make the
I'm lost. Sway bars and anti-roll bars are the same thing, just different names. So, what exactly do you have on the back of your car?

And fwiw, putting a bar on the front should not be a couple hour job. It's 4 bolts, and two endlinks if you left the mount brackets. If you didn't then it's a total of 12 bolts and two endlinks.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-08-2006 | 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by gruntwork
Hey there sam.... calm down there buddy. Nobody is questioning you super duper amazing cancer curing suspension parts. All I was trying to offer was the easiest way to answer the thread starter's question. Obviously stock suspension doesn't cure cancer either by any means, but it's an easiest and cheapest solution. About the engineering, I was attempting some humor but I guess this is too serious of a matter for that.

Also I know were all "complete morons" on this site, but I think most people would understand what I meant. Meaning "all things being equal under ideal conditions"

Stock suspension is by no means the best answer but it is the "easiest and cheapest" for someone who wants mostly drag traction but won't feel like their gonna die under high speed conditions. Read the guys first post. Is your suspension great? yeah sure, but is it the only answer period definitely not. That would be a short sited assumption in my honest opinion.
First off, where people's money and possibly safety is involved... humor isn't really on my mind.

And no, this site is far from full of complete morons, many are very smart. However many just don't know how things work, and get completely confused. I talk to many people each day and get to hear firsthand how "they heard on the forums that...." So just maybe my sense of reference is different than folks who only interact with others who only "speak" here, and don't realize that many more folks read these things than post to these things.

And I never, NEVER said that my suspension was the answer. You did. You said something to the effect that "of course I'd say that, I want to sell parts". I simple said that your statements, both that the car couldn't launch with things I do (and those things are rarely 100% the same for any two people), and that stock stuff is good, were in *my* humble opinion, way off base. Because in fact cars can pull good 60's on "my" stuff, and have. And it's pretty well known the stock shocks are such crap they should be painted brown.
Old 12-08-2006 | 12:53 PM
Banned

I will say this Sam is in business to make money but NOT when he's giving advice. He isnt a parts peddler and always puts the customers best interest first. Which in the handling end of things is safety
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Ive made up my mind, im going for more of a handling car because that is what I like.

Sam ill be contacting you in the future, thank you
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sure thing.... Happy to help
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:10 PM
10 Second Club

I'm lost. Sway bars and anti-roll bars are the same thing, just different names. So, what exactly do you have on the back of your car?

And fwiw, putting a bar on the front should not be a couple hour job. It's 4 bolts, and two endlinks if you left the mount brackets. If you didn't then it's a total of 12 bolts and two endlinks.
My bad, I ment to say anti-sway bar for the rear. I have a spohn drag bar in the back to keep my launch straight. I can switch back to stock pretty quick with air tools
Old 12-08-2006 | 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Just my opinion, but you must have gotten a really good deal on this car. Because otherwise, it would have probably been better to start with a stock vehicle.
Old 12-09-2006 | 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

I have koni SA shocks and I cut 1.61 60ft times w/ good track prep. I have non adj control arms and phb. My swaybar is off and the car can still take turns very good. I would recommend the koni SA's. I got lucky that the car came with them. Just my .02
Old 12-09-2006 | 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00 Freak
I have koni SA shocks and I cut 1.61 60ft times w/ good track prep. I have non adj control arms and phb.
With what springs, and what tires?

Stock TA?
Old 12-09-2006 | 11:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Just my opinion, but you must have gotten a really good deal on this car. Because otherwise, it would have probably been better to start with a stock vehicle.
I think your talkign to me, but yeah I got a really good deal on it and I couldnt pass it up........Its ok theres nothing that cant be changed or sold for other parts etc.
Old 12-09-2006 | 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

loving this thread

Quick Reply: DRAG/Good handling car? I need both, imput needed