Question About Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question About Calipers

Have an 02 TA.
My next mod is a caliper upgrade.
I W/ like to go with Willwood, I looked on the Summit Racing websight and Im not sure which kind to get.
Do any of you have caliper upgrades?
If so, what kind do you have?
ALSO, how many pistons do our cars have?
I only run the car at the track only 1-2 times a year on track days.
I have cross/drilled/slotted rotors on all 4 tires, but I want the car to be able to stop the second I hit the brake pedal.
Do you think a caliper upgrade W/ do that?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Any kind of brake upgrade is good. Just remember, bigger brakes usually require a bigger wheel. That can get pricey if you don't already have 18+ wheels.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont bother with the cross drilled expecting a performance upgrade.. They are for the bling factor there have been many many threads on this...
Old 12-12-2006, 06:11 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Moving to Handling & Braking Forum (from Pontiac Firebird Forum)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Well, I already have Hawk brake pads on all 4 tires.
What do you guys think of a caliper upgrade?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The way I look at it is the F-bodys and Vettes share the same Calipers. Vettes get taken to the track repeatedly and very few ever have issues. Unless you are REALLY going to track the car and do some hardcore racing with it, I wouldnt' think a caliper upgrade is necessary. They are extremely expensive and I don't think you would notice as big of a difference as you want.

As someone already mentioned the drilling is just a bling factor. Look at all the real hardcore race cars. No slotting, no drilling.

For me, I rarely if ever make it to a track, but I do lots of "spirited" driving on the backroads and twisties of Austin. I went with Hawk HPS pads all around. Went with stock sized blanks for the back and did the C5 rotor upgrade to the front along with the stainless lines. This all by itself made a HUGE difference. The C5 kits are readily available and parts are relatively inexpensive. This setup works great for me and the stopping power is great. I couldn't justify spending 1000+ on brakes. I have maybe 500 in the front and back and am VERY happy with it.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trent
The way I look at it is the F-bodys and Vettes share the same Calipers.
This is not correct. The Corvette caliper has smaller pistons, it's pressure cast (closer to a forging, but not quite) instead of just cast, the Corvette has 40.5mm pistons instead of 44mm for the F-body (this is to adjust the brake bias for the extra leverage of the larger rotors on the Corvette) and the Corvette has stiffening ribs on the outside. So, they are a similar design, but not really the same caliper at all. The Corvette calipers also hold up much better under track conditions due to those changes.

However, swapping the Corvette calipers onto an F-body will result in a decrease of front brake bias and limit the clamping load on the pads a bit more than the F-body calipers would. So, it's actually going the wrong direction (unless you add the C5 rotors with them). So, though it's a better caliper, it's not going to show the gains the thread starter is looking for.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackbird
This is not correct. The Corvette caliper has smaller pistons, it's pressure cast (closer to a forging, but not quite) instead of just cast, the Corvette has 40.5mm pistons instead of 44mm for the F-body (this is to adjust the brake bias for the extra leverage of the larger rotors on the Corvette) and the Corvette has stiffening ribs on the outside. So, they are a similar design, but not really the same caliper at all. The Corvette calipers also hold up much better under track conditions due to those changes.

However, swapping the Corvette calipers onto an F-body will result in a decrease of front brake bias and limit the clamping load on the pads a bit more than the F-body calipers would. So, it's actually going the wrong direction (unless you add the C5 rotors with them). So, though it's a better caliper, it's not going to show the gains the thread starter is looking for.
That's what I get for listening to anyone from GM! My bad then! I have the C5 calipers on mine, but jsut because they were a package deal with something else. I have the C5 rotors though so I guess I went the right direction with mine. Damn GM reps! I am very sorry for my misinformation.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No problem. I just figured I'd pass that along, it's a common mistake.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Well, Im going to have the performance shop paint them and Im also going to have them customized.
Ill keep this topic posted.