Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

coilover shock rebuild/shorten

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default coilover shock rebuild/shorten

I have been running LG Motorsport's G2 Coilovers on my car for about 4 years now (about 50K miles) and they are LONG over due for a rebuild. At the same time, the shocks are WAY too long (at ride height they are almost 3/4" compressed...).

IDEALY there would be someone in Phoenix that could do this (is there?) but if not, is there anyone in say So Cal (I'm sure there MUST be someone in LA right?) who could both clean, check out, and shorten the shocks for me?

Now I DO have a machine shop (Bridgeport mill and a 1340 Lathe) so I am easily capable of modifying the shock body/piston rod (don't have any shock testing equipment though) but have just never played with shocks before (insides) so unless the cost is high to have the work done I might just let someone else handle it. IF I do the machien work, I would still need to send it somewhere (I guess?) and have the shock checked on a shock dyno (unless I replaced the valves at the same time) right?

ideas?

The shocks are Bilstein aluminum threaded body shocks. I'm waiting for LG to get back to me but I THINK they are of the ASN series and they work out to be a 7" stroke. There in lies the problem. LG used the shortest shock that Bilstein makes (so they tried) but it is still too long to really be IDEAL.

Quick Reply: coilover shock rebuild/shorten