Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sam Strano,can u lend me ur ears?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sam Strano,can u lend me ur ears?

Sam, i am ready to install my koni sa's on my 00 ss with eibach pro's. I wanted to know if you might have some suggestions as to how i should set them, and if i should use the top or the bottom spring perch for the fronts? I would like the car to have good street manors with a tiny bit of straight line track time. This will be mostly a street car. I also think you should know that the area in NJ i live has very bad streets. bumps, potholes, ect . This was the major reason for me getting quality shocks. I also wanted to say that i have heard lots great things about u and hope to be dealing with you for my future suspension mods. Thanks in advance Sam
Old 12-15-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to make an observation here. It appears that you didn't order your shocks from Sam. I'm only guessing this because you would probably already know the answers to your questions if you'd talked to him when you placed your order. If I'm incorrect and you did buy them from Stranoparts, then I apologize for my error.

However, one of the ways vendors stay in business is to sell parts. I'm not talking about selling you "everything under the sun", but if you're buying parts, that's why they are there. If you buy parts from sponsor "A", I'd probably not expect sponsor "B" to answer many questions about the parts. Support is a package deal and it comes with the sale. If you bought them somewhere else, I'd expect that vendor to help you with your setup questions. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but when you make a living in this business, you have to support your own customers. And, if you really need the information a specific vendor can provide, isn't it worth buying the parts from that vendor to get the support you need?

With that said, no, Sam didn't put me up to this, it's just something that many people seem to overlook. I've ordered stuff from many vendors over the years and I've had good luck with all of them. And when I buy parts from them, if I have questions, I call that vendor back and get help.

Anyway, enough about that. I'll try to help you with your questions. I'm not a vendor and I couldn't sell you anything anyway. So, I'll offer my input.

First, use the upper perch on the front shocks with your lowering springs. If you use the lower perch, you'll be 1/2" lower than the spring manufacturer planned and that can cause issues with suspension travel, ride quality, etc.

As for shock settings. I'd start at the minimum and work up. I'd expect you to wind up (roughly) around 1/2 way (6 sweeps) on the front shocks and probably around 1 turn from full soft on the rears. However, you might prefer more on one end or the other, or you might prefer less. I run a bit more than that (most of the time, but it depends), but my setup isn't quite the same as yours (most likely) and I'm sure my application is different as well. It takes a bit to adjust them (a 2.5mm allen wrench makes adjusting the fronts much easier), but it's nice to experiment. You'll learn how the car reacts with the different settings and somewhere in there you'll probably find exactly the setting you're looking for. One size does not fit all when it comes to shock settings.

Just my thoughts.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
I'm going to make an observation here. It appears that you didn't order your shocks from Sam. I'm only guessing this because you would probably already know the answers to your questions if you'd talked to him when you placed your order. If I'm incorrect and you did buy them from Stranoparts, then I apologize for my error.

However, one of the ways vendors stay in business is to sell parts. I'm not talking about selling you "everything under the sun", but if you're buying parts, that's why they are there. If you buy parts from sponsor "A", I'd probably not expect sponsor "B" to answer many questions about the parts. Support is a package deal and it comes with the sale. If you bought them somewhere else, I'd expect that vendor to help you with your setup questions. I'm not saying this to be harsh, but when you make a living in this business, you have to support your own customers. And, if you really need the information a specific vendor can provide, isn't it worth buying the parts from that vendor to get the support you need?

With that said, no, Sam didn't put me up to this, it's just something that many people seem to overlook. I've ordered stuff from many vendors over the years and I've had good luck with all of them. And when I buy parts from them, if I have questions, I call that vendor back and get help.

Anyway, enough about that. I'll try to help you with your questions. I'm not a vendor and I couldn't sell you anything anyway. So, I'll offer my input.

First, use the upper perch on the front shocks with your lowering springs. If you use the lower perch, you'll be 1/2" lower than the spring manufacturer planned and that can cause issues with suspension travel, ride quality, etc.

As for shock settings. I'd start at the minimum and work up. I'd expect you to wind up (roughly) around 1/2 way (6 sweeps) on the front shocks and probably around 1 turn from full soft on the rears. However, you might prefer more on one end or the other, or you might prefer less. I run a bit more than that (most of the time, but it depends), but my setup isn't quite the same as yours (most likely) and I'm sure my application is different as well. It takes a bit to adjust them (a 2.5mm allen wrench makes adjusting the fronts much easier), but it's nice to experiment. You'll learn how the car reacts with the different settings and somewhere in there you'll probably find exactly the setting you're looking for. One size does not fit all when it comes to shock settings.

Just my thoughts.

First off, you would be correct in saying that i did not buy these shocks from sam. I did not know about sam when i made this purchase. After reading several posts about how to set these shocks, his name came up alot. I kinda realized that Sam seemed like the kind of guy that creates good relationships with people in need of knowledge , and in return creates loyal costomers. This is only my second suspension mod of many to come. I cant blame him or be mad at him if he doesnt want to answer my questions, becuse its true that i didnt buy the product from him. Its a buisness. As for your advise , i'll try what you said and see how it feels. I might have to go harder in the rear , because my right pass side sags lower than the drivers side. My tire rubs on the wheel well a bit. I was told that this is a common f bod problem. However , thanks for the advise.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wilwhite2kss
I might have to go harder in the rear , because my right pass side sags lower than the drivers side. My tire rubs on the wheel well a bit. I was told that this is a common f bod problem. However , thanks for the advise.

I wasn't trying to single you out, but I know that Sam really tries to help people and it's not "polite" to keep asking him for information and buying stuff elsewhere. Again, not directed at you, so much as just a common ethics problem I see. I wasn't trying to pick on you. I know he'll be happy to help you when you're ready to take your next steps with the setup.

The shocks won't change the ride height. You'll want them adjusted the same on both sides of the car or it will handle funny during transitions (slaloms?). The rebound controls the roll rate of the car. It can't limit the total body roll, that's the job of sway bars (and the springs have an impact on that as well). The shocks can make the car feel "tighter" and make it quicker to respond, but they can't change the ride height to compensate for your uneven rear measurements. You might swap your rear springs while you have the shocks off and see if the problem moves with the springs. If so, get new rear springs. If not, it may be an axle problem (I know of at least one car where the rear spring perches are not welded onto the axle level).

Also, if it's rubbing on the inside wheel well, you might be able to fix it with an adjustable panhard rod. The axle may be offset to one side a bit which is very common with these cars. GM didn't hold the tightest build tolerances with these things. Where exactly is it rubbing?
Old 12-16-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by trackbird
I wasn't trying to single you out, but I know that Sam really tries to help people and it's not "polite" to keep asking him for information and buying stuff elsewhere. Again, not directed at you, so much as just a common ethics problem I see. I wasn't trying to pick on you. I know he'll be happy to help you when you're ready to take your next steps with the setup.

The shocks won't change the ride height. You'll want them adjusted the same on both sides of the car or it will handle funny during transitions (slaloms?). The rebound controls the roll rate of the car. It can't limit the total body roll, that's the job of sway bars (and the springs have an impact on that as well). The shocks can make the car feel "tighter" and make it quicker to respond, but they can't change the ride height to compensate for your uneven rear measurements. You might swap your rear springs while you have the shocks off and see if the problem moves with the springs. If so, get new rear springs. If not, it may be an axle problem (I know of at least one car where the rear spring perches are not welded onto the axle level).

Also, if it's rubbing on the inside wheel well, you might be able to fix it with an adjustable panhard rod. The axle may be offset to one side a bit which is very common with these cars. GM didn't hold the tightest build tolerances with these things. Where exactly is it rubbing?

Yes ,i know that you werent trying to single me out. I can see where you are coming from. Once again thanks for the advice. I will swap the rear springs and keep you posted. I also have an adj panhard bar that i will tinker around with, and see if i can correct the issue.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Bravo trackbird.... Very diplomatic and great advice. Wilwhite2kss, I know this doesn't apply to you. But in the past folks have called Sam and discused to great length the challenges they have with a specific car. A solution is always found, but hours are sometimes spent accomplishing this. Only to have the part's purchased elsewhere inorder to save in my opinion a ridiculously small amount of money. Then Sam is asked for installation advise, setting up shocks, tire pressure and alignment settings.

Wilwhite2kss, you seem like a stand up guy and thanks for understanding trackbird's point of view.

If the extra 20mm of rubber is causing you rub, I'd for sure check and see if the rear is centered. Assuming the offset on your rims are good, this is where I'd look first. Oh... and remember to have the adjustment window on the front shocks facing out towards you, simple enough but often overlooked.

Scott.

Last edited by May Spin; 12-16-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by May Spin
Bravo trackbird.... Very diplomatic and great advice. Wilwhite2kss, I know this doesn't apply to you. But in the past folks have called Sam and discused to great length the challenges they have with a specific car. A solution is always found, but hours are sometimes spent accomplishing this. Only to have the part's purchased elsewhere inorder to save in my opinion a ridiculously small amount of money. Then Sam is asked for installation advise, setting up shocks, tire pressure and alignment settings.

Wilwhite2kss, you seem like a stand up guy and thanks for understanding trackbird's point of view.

If the extra 20mm of rubber is causing you rub, I'd for sure check and see if the rear is centered. Assuming the offset on your rims are good, this is where I'd look first. Oh... and remember to have the adjustment window on the front shocks facing out towards you, simple enough but often overlooked.

Scott.

THANKS SCOTT, I think that u and track bird may be right. I think that my rear may be off centered due to my panhard bar. I will be doing the install today , and will keep you guys posted. thanks again.