Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Getting rotors cut??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting rotors cut??

I have stock rotors that seem to be warped up front. Should I get them cut? or, Should I buy autozone rotors? Expensive rotors are out of the question. Is the price of cutting much less than gettin sutozone rotors?

Also, do I need to change the brake pads because of the warped rotors? I have a set in my shed, but the pads on the car have plenty of material left.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

check how much rotor you have, or any defects, If none, get them cut and hopefully itll last you another 5-15k, until you have money to spend on some nice blanks.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to autozone and buy some new ones, they work mint
Old 12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Don't bother turning the stock rotors. They will just warp again. Get new ones.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Don't bother turning the stock rotors. They will just warp again. Get new ones.
Agreed. If you're strapped for $$ and just need a temporary fix then have them turned if there is enough material. Just understand that the more material you remove the more prone you will be to warpage again in the future so its probably a temporary fix at best. IMO its best to just buy new quality blanks, break them in properly, and be done with it.

Also, DO NOT subscribe to the old school theory that you HAVE to turn otherwise good rotors whenever you replace pads. I can't believe how many people still think this is the way you have to do it...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Also, DO NOT subscribe to the old school theory that you HAVE to turn otherwise good rotors whenever you replace pads. I can't believe how many people still think this is the way you have to do it...
No I meant, becuse my rotrs are now warped, chould I change my pads with a ton of material left. What is the cost of having rotors cut? Is it about the same as the good autozone rotors, or brembo blanks?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
No I meant, becuse my rotrs are now warped, chould I change my pads with a ton of material left. What is the cost of having rotors cut? Is it about the same as the good autozone rotors, or brembo blanks?
Understood. That wasn't really directed at you - just a general statement that may have been ill-timed. if you have plenty of pad material left then there is no need to change pads unless you want to.

Last time I checked, having rotors turned was much cheaper than new rotors. A local car parts house will probably do them for under $15/each. New rotors are going to cost you 3-4 times that much. If you must turn the rotors, though, your best bet is to seek out a machine shop to do the work. In general they will have better upkeep of their lathes/machine tools and will give you a better surface finish than the local Pepboys or Schuck's. It's a generalization, but I'll stand by it...
Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

totally agree, I might just get new ones. Is there a way to trouble shoot which rotor is messed up? I'd like to only change the fronts if I can get away with it.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by vMaster0fPuppets
totally agree, I might just get new ones. Is there a way to trouble shoot which rotor is messed up? I'd like to only change the fronts if I can get away with it.
Rule of thumb is that if you feel vibration or pulsating through the steering wheel or pedals then its the front. If you feel it through the chassis (ie your *** in the seat) then its the rear. 99% of the time it'll be the front on a street car, so (if it were me) I would feel very confident simply replacing the fronts in the absence of data telling me otherwise.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around here I can get rotors turned for $5 each. But like you've already heard, they're just going to warp again, and even faster now that they're thinner. I turned mine once, just the fronts, and they were like new for a little while. I have new ones all the way around now.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the price on autozone rotors. I know I used to buy them for about $18 per. That was 2 years ago, though.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks,

From what I've read there are 2 types of autozone rotors, and only the more expensive, Duralast, rotors are worth buying. True?

Bremblo blanks are quite a bit pricier, do they offer much of an improvement over Duralast?