Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want to lower 1 to 1.25 inches but want BETTER RIDE!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006 | 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Default Want to lower 1 to 1.25 inches but want BETTER RIDE!

I want to lower 1 to 1.25 inches but want a better ride.. I have 285/30/20 in the back and 255/35/19 in the front... I dont mind spending a little money....
Old 12-20-2006 | 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

I would say:

Koni Single Adjustables
Hotchkis Springs

Then don't forget the adj. panhard bar and relocation brackets. Adj. torque arm is optional but needed if you want to fix your pinion angle just right.
Old 12-20-2006 | 08:02 PM
Launching!

Don't know if you can get there from here, but Sam Strano is the guy to ask. Let him know your exact parameters as far as type of ride and lowering expectations.

He's the person who'd be my first choice.

sTeve
Old 12-21-2006 | 11:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Very doable I'd say. But I don't know any details about what a BETTER RIDE means to this gent.

The wheel/tire combo isn't doing you any favors. No sidewall and more unsprung weight is a double-whammy. But the shocks are certainly an issue, and they effect ride more than springs do. In short I'm saying the right springs and shocks (and I think I have those) will make the car ride much less harshly. Not softly, but not as slam-bam as it does not, not by a long shot.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-21-2006 | 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Those are some big rims!
Old 12-21-2006 | 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Air Ride?
Old 12-21-2006 | 02:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

What about it? If you want to spend a fortune on a setup with junk shocks and unknown spring rates (and ones that vary depending on height which is dependent on air pressure), then sure...... I'll pass, because the lower you go, the MORE rate you need, not less. And to go lower, you lower the air pressure and that results in LESS spring rate.
Old 12-21-2006 | 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
What about it? If you want to spend a fortune on a setup with junk shocks and unknown spring rates (and ones that vary depending on height which is dependent on air pressure), then sure...... I'll pass, because the lower you go, the MORE rate you need, not less. And to go lower, you lower the air pressure and that results in LESS spring rate.
Just throwing out a suggestion . . . . Not saying it was good or bad.

I've just never had good luck with lowering a car and maintaining a "good" ride. Again not saying it isn't possible, but niether of my F-Cars ride "nice" They handle awesome, but ride?

I know you are the man to listen too for supension upgrades, so beleive me I'm not questioning you.
Old 12-21-2006 | 02:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And I certainly didn't mean it to sound wrong if it did. I just tend to want to make sure folks understand.
Old 12-21-2006 | 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Just throwing out a suggestion . . . . Not saying it was good or bad.

I've just never had good luck with lowering a car and maintaining a "good" ride. Again not saying it isn't possible, but niether of my F-Cars ride "nice" They handle awesome, but ride?
Lots of people have bad experience with lowered cars and its usually from one or both of these reasons. not saying this is the case with your experience, but this is what usually happens

1. Cut springs or "slammed" aftermarket springs that are about setting the car on the bumpstops for looks and not improving ride and handling.

2. Stock or cheap aftermarket shocks that can barely keep up with stock springs, much less lowering spring rates.

The important thing is to get a quality spring thats not too low and a good shock that can keep up. I suggest Koni SA's and any of the springs that get good reviews on this board. DMS, Hotchkis, Strano, Pro Kit (no sportlines), and so on. But with the Koni's you could just about put rubber blocks in place of your springs and improve the ride over stock.
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Air Ride?

Imangine that..
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Alright Mr Srano.. Whats the good word? Whats a good setup?
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Silver UltraZ
Alright Mr Srano.. Whats the good word? Whats a good setup?
You'll have to call him to find out. Too many variables to go back and forth over the internet.

-Mike
Old 12-21-2006 | 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

Very doable I'd say. But I don't know any details about what a BETTER RIDE means to this gent.

The wheel/tire combo isn't doing you any favors. No sidewall and more unsprung weight is a double-whammy. But the shocks are certainly an issue, and they effect ride more than springs do. In short I'm saying the right springs and shocks (and I think I have those) will make the car ride much less harshly. Not softly, but not as slam-bam as it does not, not by a long shot.
I understand about the wheels... Thats why I want a good setup in springs/shocks.. Im not in the norm with 17", 18".... Go big or go home..

Quick Reply: Want to lower 1 to 1.25 inches but want BETTER RIDE!