Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Conversion

Ok I have a 2000 firehawk and Im gonna be putting bigger rotors on when i need to replace the pads. I know that there are the UMI brackets, LG, and bishop. Does anyone know where to find the LG and Bishop brackets and which ones allow you to keep the stock calipers, because I saw that one set makes you also convert to the c5 calipers, which i dont want to have to do.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LG brackets are the only ones that allow you to maintain the use of the stock camaro calipers. In my opinion, that is the best solution. You only have to buy the brackets and rotors, although some people suggest the use of c5 brake lines or aftermarket braided s/s lines.

Also, the f-body calipers have a bigger diameter piston than the c5 calipers.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get the UMI brackets from UMI, the LG's from LG and the plans and manufacturing of the Bob Bishop kit was purchased by me. They are now called trackbrackets.

The LG kit will let you keep the stock caliper and PAB. The C5 stuff is stronger (larger bolts, etc) and the Corvette calipers use a smaller piston to adjust the brake bias to compensate for the larger rotor. That's why there is a difference in piston diameters.

You'll have to convert to the C5 calipers and PAB's with the UMI and trackbrackets kits. The kits that use all C5 parts should be a bit stronger than the kits using the F-body parts. GM upgraded the Corvette stuff for heavier duty use. The kit that allows you to keep the stock stuff will be somewhat less expensive.

That's it in a nutshell.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Why is it that people say that you should change out the brake lines, because braided lines are useless unless your running at least dot 4 brake fluid, which I will not be. And if the lines that are on my car reach I dont see the need to switch to vette lines.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

They recommend the switch to bigger lines because there is more clamping force since the caliper is being moved out more and the rotors are bigger. I guess.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

ok since this is on a same subject topic, im gonna ask anyways. i want to put the 97-04
C5 calipers on my camaro. i have the stock replacement Eradispeeds (not the +1) rotors on the camaro now. can i do this as just a swap out. i'll get vette brake pads and upgrade the brake lines. any help. sorry for the highjack.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hawk_479
Why is it that people say that you should change out the brake lines, because braided lines are useless unless your running at least dot 4 brake fluid, which I will not be. And if the lines that are on my car reach I dont see the need to switch to vette lines.
Braided lines are stiffer, no matter what fluid you run (except Dot 5, which is silicone and gives a spongy pedal, Dot 5.1 is the "good" version). However, most of us don't recommend braided lines for street use (dirt can get in the braids and cause wear and eventual leaks).

The reason we have you replace the lines is that the larger rotor moves the caliper out and the stock hose could be too short when the steering wheel is turned fully. That can stretch and damage the hose. This can lead to big trouble if a hose fails. That's why the Corvette hoses are recommended with some of these kits.

Originally Posted by cookba
ok since this is on a same subject topic, im gonna ask anyways. i want to put the 97-04
C5 calipers on my camaro. i have the stock replacement Eradispeeds (not the +1) rotors on the camaro now. can i do this as just a swap out. i'll get vette brake pads and upgrade the brake lines. any help. sorry for the highjack.
If you use C5 calipers you still use F-body pads. The pads have to match the PAB that you use (the frame that holds the pads) and not the caliper. Using the Corvette calipers on the stock diameter rotors will decrease front braking slightly (it reduces the "clamp load" on the rotor).
Old 12-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Banned

ok, thanks alot trackbird. i think i'll stick with my stockers then. but i think im gonna go with the corvette brake lines.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by trackbird
Braided lines are stiffer, no matter what fluid you run (except Dot 5, which is silicone and gives a spongy pedal, Dot 5.1 is the "good" version). However, most of us don't recommend braided lines for street use (dirt can get in the braids and cause wear and eventual leaks).

The reason we have you replace the lines is that the larger rotor moves the caliper out and the stock hose could be too short when the steering wheel is turned fully. That can stretch and damage the hose. This can lead to big trouble if a hose fails. That's why the Corvette hoses are recommended with some of these kits.
Ok so UMI Brackets + C5 Z06 Calipers + C5 Rotors + stock C5 Lines = good idea?

I've been planning on doing this over the winter, so I thought i'd throw it out to someone who seems to know what they're talking about. I'm still undecided about blank vs. drilled/slotted rotors, but i know enough about that to make an informed decision. It's the overall combo i'm interested in knowing about.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Blakbird24

I've been planning on doing this over the winter, so I thought i'd throw it out to someone who seems to know what they're talking about. I'm still undecided about blank vs. drilled/slotted rotors, but i know enough about that to make an informed decision. It's the overall combo i'm interested in knowing about.

Yes, that's the right answer as far as parts go. Don't forget the C5 PAB to go with it.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by trackbird
Yes, that's the right answer as far as parts go. Don't forget the C5 PAB to go with it.
I always do my research before I buy, so I don't miss anything.

Just wanted to know if that is a good idea for the price. Thanks.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:50 PM
11 Second Club

I recently did the conversion on my 2000 SS and am very happy so far with the difference. I used the following parts.

2004 C5 Calipers and ubutment brackets
Earl's C5 SS lines
UMI Brackets
Hawk Pads
Powerstop C5 CD/Slotted Rotors

Doing the conversion this way saved me a great deal of money and gave me the upgrade I was looking for. Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Use the track brackets...........shameless plug for trackbird,He is from ohio.I havent ordered mine yet but will sometime in january.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 95/02ss
Use the track brackets...........shameless plug for trackbird,He is from ohio.I havent ordered mine yet but will sometime in january.
Advantages? Differences? Price? I'd be willing to go that route certainly if they will work in my application and save me money.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Advantages? Differences? Price? I'd be willing to go that route certainly if they will work in my application and save me money.
The trackbrackets are more expensive but they're a better, proven bracket. I personally would go with an the LG's just because you don't have to cut your spindels. If you LS1 guys were smart you'd buy some LT1 spindels for next to nothing then sell your complete LS1 setup to an LT1 guy. If you're gonna cut and ruin a spindel ruin an LT1 spindel because they have almost no value.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Air
Staging Lane

are the lt1 spindles equal in quality/strength to the ls1 spindles? im assuming that they are interchangeable?

im one of those guys who cant stand to do anything to my car unless i can change it back.. so i have pretty much 2 of everything. If im gonna swap to c5 brakes then im def gonna get another spindle.. from what you said i can pick up some junkyard lt1 spindles, cut 2 ears off, adn have the equivilent of a c5 modified ls1 spindle?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Air
are the lt1 spindles equal in quality/strength to the ls1 spindles? im assuming that they are interchangeable?

im one of those guys who cant stand to do anything to my car unless i can change it back.. so i have pretty much 2 of everything. If im gonna swap to c5 brakes then im def gonna get another spindle.. from what you said i can pick up some junkyard lt1 spindles, cut 2 ears off, adn have the equivilent of a c5 modified ls1 spindle?
Yes the LT1 and LS1 spindle bolt in and interchange. The most C5 brackets also work with both spindles you just have to cut a little more off the LT1 spindle but who cares the LT1 spindles are a dime a dozen.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Just For Everyones Info The Switch From The Stock Ls1 To The C5 Setup Will Add At Least 30 Lbs To The Front End.

Tomtom
Old 01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TOMTOM
Just For Everyones Info The Switch From The Stock Ls1 To The C5 Setup Will Add At Least 30 Lbs To The Front End.

Tomtom
Good, that will help keep my front end down when I launch...glad I did the conversion.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TOMTOM

Tomtom
Where'd you come up with that? Weights?

Better yet, I'll present this (LT1 vs C5, LS1 should be similar, but the rotors and brackets will add a few lbs, but probably not 30.... ):

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...ndpost&p=37644

Which is post 22 of this thread:

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...21&hl=lbs&st=0

Well, you guys probably won't believe this, but I finished up the C5 conversion tonight, and here's what I found out.

I actually LOST weight with the conversion! Remember how all the C5 stuff was 32 lbs for each side? Well, the stuff that I took off weighed 33.5 lbs each side. I was very careful how I weighed everything. Here is the breakdown.

Old LT1 front Rotor:
16 lbs (this surprised me. Heavy little sucker)

Caliper, brake hose and pads:
13.5 lbs (caliper and hose was 11.5 lbs)

Metal cut off of the knuckle:
4 lbs

Add up the Rotor, Caliper, pads, hose, and cut metal:
33.5 lbs.

The rotational mass is still higher with the C5 kit, since the C5 rotor weighs 18.5 lbs and is one inch further out from the center than the LT1 rotor. It will be interesting to see if I will notice the 2.5 lb rotational mass difference.

I used the Stoptech stainless C5 lines. They are 15.75" from one end to the middle of the banjo bolt and fet GREAT. I also bought the Stoptech stainless lines for the rear, but all they had were rear lines for the LS1, but I can them a try. They were a little long. Hopefully they'll be o.k. The drivers side rear has a pretty tight curve to it, but at least it's stationary.

Last edited by trackbird; 01-11-2007 at 07:30 PM.