Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA Relo. Brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LCA Relo. Brackets?

Talked to the guy who will be building my custom sfc's today and he says I should send back the relocation brackets I got for xmas. He says they're unnecessary and I should spend the money on a tq arm or something. Is this true? Do I need them or just bolt in my aftermarket lca's?
Old 12-26-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Talk to Sam Strano, I dont think he runs them and doesnt recommend them either.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:43 PM
Launching!

I got them,and they made a difference for the better so....
Old 12-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really depends on how much you are lowered...the LCAs are supposed to be parallel to the ground. Nothing more, nothing less. Some people have problems with wheel hop after lowering the car that the relocation brackets fix. I have some on mine, and couldn't tell you if there was a difference or not. I like keeping the geometry where it is supposed to be, so they are staying.

If you are having problems with wheel hop on a lowered car, and nothing else fixes it, the brackets might be the ticket. I can neither confirm nor deny their effectiveness though from my own personal experience.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CMKworm
Talked to the guy who will be building my custom sfc's today and he says I should send back the relocation brackets I got for xmas. He says they're unnecessary and I should spend the money on a tq arm or something. Is this true? Do I need them or just bolt in my aftermarket lca's?

the majority opinion depends on aplication

for drag racing, yes these help you can also use reloc brackets to get a better angle of attack on the ground

strano seems to be god here, but even he recomends them for straight line performance

these will help with traction on a normal height car aswell as a lowered car, on a lowered car they are a must becuase of the change in angle
Old 12-26-2006, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I know I was wheel hopin and spinning like crazy....changed out the LCA's,PHR and brackets......no wheel hop(unless Your punching it over a really rig waved intersection,but hey)....and theres gotta be greater down force on the tires,cause I cant spin them near as far as before.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Wouldn't run without them, check out the results on my link.
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-26-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car is lowered, run them. If not, don't.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just what I've been told over the past week while researching rear end parts, is to definitely get them.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how much lower do they sit after you use the relocation brackets?
Old 12-26-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

when I lowerred my car, my LCA's were pointing upwards toward the back of the car slightly...
i bought relos, and brought them back to horizontal..the feeling was literally "seat of the pants"....i didnt realize how bad it was until i adjusted them...

I say if you lowered get em(but only if your LCA's need adjusting)...if not, they are not neccesary at all
Old 12-26-2006, 11:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it squats you need them. If it leaps you don't.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

my control arms are angles slightly towards the front, and im not lowered. but im gonna be getting the brackets when i get a non adj torque arm.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If it squats you need them. If it leaps you don't.
EXACTLY! You literally feel the *** of the car stiffen under accelaration! NICE!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys. Im alittle torn on the relocation brackets as well. But here is what my car does... First of all my car is an 87. But the rear suspension is pretty much exactly the same as a 4th gen, so everything applies.

Im making good power as the car sits now. I get massive wheel spin in first if I really get on it, but its smooth...no hop. If I nail 2nd real hard, I get a squawk from the tires sometimes...but they dont break loose.

My car is lowered 1" with a pro-kit, has bilsteins all around, and my rear control arms are pointing up towards the rear at a pretty good angle.

My limited knowledge tells me I should be having some wheel hop...and at the least limited traction in the back. But I seem to have no wheel hop, and decent traction. I have the relocation brackets sitting on my bench ready to go on. But Im just curious if you guys think it will even make a difference???

I just havent seen the issues that some see with a lowered car, decent power, and no relo. brackets.

Justin
Old 12-27-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Justin....dude....read above....you need em, you need to bring your LCA's back to horizontal...at the angle they are at currently, they have no ability to plant the wheels...do it and NEVER look back!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

haha... I read I read... My point was, I dont have any of the symptoms that suggest that I need them. Im probably definetly going to put them on. And I realize they are supposed to be as close to horizontal as possible. I was just wondering why I wasnt getting hop or having traction issues.

Hehe dont worry...Im puttin them on. When I go to service the rear this winter Im going to weld em in.

J.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im goin to lower my car in a couple of days, im planning on buyin the relocation brackets. should I go ahead and upgrade the lca. by the way, my car is a daily driver.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

I wasnt being a smart *** by the way, i hear what you are saying....i blame wheel hop on other things too, like tire traction etc...so, thats good that you do not have the wheel hop issues that some do...i didnt either...but the geometry of the LCA was WAY off....that cant be good you know!

good luck let us know for sure!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Yahelou
Im goin to lower my car in a couple of days, im planning on buyin the relocation brackets. should I go ahead and upgrade the lca. by the way, my car is a daily driver.
YEs,get new LCA's...UMI poly/spherical...I love em.