Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need some help figuring this out!!! PICS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Need some help figuring this out!!! PICS!!!

Ok, I'm gonna try and explain this as best I can. I'm crawling around under the car today and noticed these metal looking shavings(pic 1) hanging all around my driver's side brake caliper. I took the best pictures I could but the angles and lights were tough. What the hell is it and what do I need to do? Also, the last pic is a big a$$ hole in the plastic fender.(See my zip-tied cruise control unit and everything removed from past FMIC?) I hit a bump awhile back while the sway bar was removed and this happened to both sides. What caused this and where can I find another piece of plastic? Need help asap if possible!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:07 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CMKworm
Ok, I'm gonna try and explain this as best I can. I'm crawling around under the car today and noticed these metal looking shavings(pic 1) hanging all around my driver's side brake caliper. I took the best pictures I could but the angles and lights were tough. What the hell is it and what do I need to do? Also, the last pic is a big a$$ hole in the plastic fender.(See my zip-tied cruise control unit and everything removed from past FMIC?) I hit a bump awhile back while the sway bar was removed and this happened to both sides. What caused this and where can I find another piece of plastic? Need help asap if possible!
That's your tire rubbing on your inner fender wheel. You need new inner fender wells (make sure you get OEM ones).

That doesn't look to be metal. But actually the melted plastic that was slung all over the place after your tires burned through your inner fender wells.

On second look, some of those pictures look like metal. Others it just looks like melted strung out black plastic. Can you confirm its metal?

Did you not hear your tires rubbing?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel kinda dumb or maybe I just freaked out but I believe you're right! I'll check after dinner but it might be plastic after all. Honestly I've been driving with my inner fenders like that for some time and they've never done this. Guess it's time to get it fixed. Do I just get them from the dealer? Also, should I put back all the plastic underneath the motor area? I've left it off too? Thank you!