Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Who cuts slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who cuts slotted rotors?

Who cuts slotted rotors in the NE? A few places I went to said they don't cut slotted ones b/c it might break their machine.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

i dont see why it would break a machine, if done right. if youre having trouble, find a place that cuts flywheels. a more serious parts store or shop (not autozone or strauss) should have a flywheel machine. it cuts differently and shouldnt have any trouble with it.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I've cut slotted and drilled rotors on a regular brake lath before at my job at they turned out fine. As long as you use some fresh bits and the rotor isnt to warped where it starts to "chatter" they should be able to cut it.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it hangs up on a slot, it can do bad things. Also, you have to make sure the bit is tight, or the vibration from skipping the holes and then hitting solid material can knock the bit loose and gouge the rotor. I've had a bit come loose while turning stuff on a brake lathe before for that same reason. That's probably why they don't want to do it. A machine shop should be able to grind it like a flywheel (and many rotors come "ground" from the factory, they have the odd pattern running from the inside edge to the outside edge in an arc from the cutting head).

Quick Reply: Who cuts slotted rotors?