Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Drilled/Slotted/Plain Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drilled/Slotted/Plain Rotors

Ok here is my problem. I have a 25th Trans Am with the white wheels. I have cross drilled rotors and greenstuff pads. I still get more dust than I want to deal with. I have also tried Prostop ceramics. Recently I drove about 100 miles or so on a nice day. Mostly all highway but when I got home my wheels looked like I had not cleaned them for a week.

My question is if ceramic pads are supposed to be the lowest dusting pad the could the cross drilled rotors be causing this? I dont know if a plain rotor will make any difference. I dont want to change out the wheels but I am tired of the dust on white wheels.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It may cause a problem, although it doesn't seem like it would much if they are a halfway decent rotor. The slots could be 'shaving' the pads making more dust, but like I said if its a decent rotor there should be no 'shaving' effect.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by quickmedic1
My question is if ceramic pads are supposed to be the lowest dusting pad the could the cross drilled rotors be causing this?
Yes, they could potentially be causing that. Brakes make dust, drilled or slotted rotors make even more dust. They just file the material off of the pads.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Any thought on whos blanks to use. Gm, Bendix, etc? As for pads who do you reccomend? EBC greenstuff, some type of ceramic?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had great luck with Brembo OEM rotors. And I lean towards Hawk HPS pads, but they can be a bit dusty (as can most pads that work well). I'm not sure you'll want the hawk pads, but you'll like those rotors.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you. I may also change out the wheels anyway. I got a price on TTMs around $700. I hope the chrome looks good on my car.