Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

my GSD3s are out past my fender... and im lowering the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
No, it makes it worse.

Its pretty clear that the wheel dimensions you have there are not really compatible with the F-body, so I'm going to say this again: these are 3-piece wheels. Have you contacted CCW to see if they can sell you new hoops to bring them down to a reasonable width (ie 11") and adjust the offset into the neighborhood of +50mm? I don't know the exact construction of these wheels, but sometimes this kind of thing is do-able with a 3-piece wheel...

Call them and talk to Chip - he's a good guy and quite helpful.
Thanks for the reply, but If its going to be that much work, then ill just return the springs for some swaybars and keep the rims
Old 01-04-2007, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

By the way, here is a pic of another car with a similar problem, but from the pics, he is lowered and its fine. Im very confused... ive seen this car a few other times, and he AutoXs his car fine. How is my situation any different???

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=17x11

post #11

EDIT: Also the DH cars with the wider fenders offer no more wheel clearance, as they just have molded flares, yet they run much wider tires, so they would all hit the fender as well... but ive never heard of them having a problem.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just trying to help, don't get so bent, I said they sound like they must me sticking out and STARTING to look getto not that they are based on your topic heading "my GSD3s are out past my fender". Didn't mean to get you worked up.

[now back to trying to help some more]

The DH cars are unfortunately not lowered down very much at all as there is no additional fender clearance as you know. The fender lip is directly over the tire so they can't be lowered like they should be. Some of the lowering on these cars is an optical illusion as the fender opening heights are slightly lower that stock as the fiberglass fenders are bonded over the factory fender lips making the wheel arch closer to the tires to begin with.

They are nice cars and some of the members in our club have them (including Matt Berger Himself) but IMO they are not as good looking as the origional Sunoco car. (they sit up too high) The origional car was slammed down over the tires as the custom flaired fenders did allow for the necessary clearance. Only down fall of the DH cars unfortunately, but I wouldn't kick one out of the garage if I had one.

The blue car you are talking about (with the the tires sticking out) must have some very stiff track springs or he has lowered his bumpstops to prevent the tire from crashing into the rear fenders. The fronts are not a bad as the fenders are plastic and the tire/wheels swing in an arc as the suspension is compressed, unlike the rear (for the most part neglecting the arc caused by the panhard rod). Also look at the amount of aggressive camber he has on the front wheels (the tires are tilted in at the top). This will also help with front clearance but will rear out tires fast on the steet.

The setup on the silver/pewter Camaro looks to be more reasonable than the blue car's. My guess is he has +50 mm offsets front and rear while the blue car has the +36mm offset better researved for Firebirds than Camaros.

If you are set on loweing you must lower you bumpstops (not recommended) or install some drag air bags in the coil springs to limit suspension travel preventing cut tires or damaged rear fenders. I actually did the opposite by moving my bump stops up to gain back the suspension travel I lost by lowering my car to increase my ride quality. I can do this as my tires just fit inside my rear fenders after completely rolling the lips up. This was a planned mod before ordeing the the wheels to my own offsets. You will not have this option (obviously) with the offsets they sent you unfortunately.

If you are stuck with those wheels then I would return the lowering springs and forget about adding a large stereo system to the hatch as this will just increase your chances of cutting a tire.

But if you have an option I would return the wheels for a better chosen size/offset to make your life easier and keep your option of lowering and still having good ride quality.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by SS LS1; 01-04-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, thanks for the help. ive talked to Sam, and hes going to let me return the springs and credit them + cash for some swaybars. Thanks for the detailed explaination BTW, it shows your trying to help rather than just get a post in. And i dont really take any offense to the ghetto comment, i made it sound worse than it was to begin with. Ill let you guys know how the suspension turns out in a few weeks. should have some pics up by then as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best of luck my friend!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just an update: I installed the rear shocks this morning. It was really easy to do; much easier than i had thought. Hopfully going to have a mechanic friend install the fronts in a few days. HUGE DIFFERENCE. The car feels sooo much better. Ill post pics of the car as soon as i get the rest of the stuff installed.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Congrats, Post up how the car feels with the fronts installed!