Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

adj panhard bar ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adj panhard bar ???

can someone explain how the panhard bar can move the fender out to make room for bigger tires if it is attached to the axle on one side. also can someone help with the theory that if you adjust it on one side it centers the axle. if the explanation is too long anyone know anygood website that explains it in simple terms.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Veteran

The panhard bar moves the rearend not the fenders to center the rearend when lowering.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear axle is retained, side to side, by the panhard bar. The bar is attached to the right side of the car, and the left side of the bar attaches to the axle.

As the car rises and fall, due to bumps in the road, the rear axle pivots in an arc around the bar's mounting point. This is why the body shifts back and forth, in reaction to the bar's rotation. (You don't see it because you're in the car)

Raising or lowering the car with different springs has the same effect as hitting a bump in the road. The body of the car moves about the pivot point of the bar, except the body stays still, just offset somewhat. The purpose of the adjustable bar is to compensate for the modified body height (ride height) and allow you to get the car re-centered over the rear axle.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Like stated above, the panhard rod keeps the rear centered left to right. When you lower the car, the rear end is actually shifted. Mine ended up being about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch to the drivers side. This was never an issue until I put 315s on the car. The reason you need an adjustable panhard rod with the big tires is so that you can be certain the rear is centered. When you are using the entire space, it is important that you have the rear centered. Otherwise, your tires will rub the fender well on one side and the fender itself on the other.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

+1 for the above statments
Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is a paicture with our adjustable panhard bar. This should help explain where it goes and how it works. If I can help anymore please ask.

Thank you!
Ryan

Old 01-11-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got an ADJ panhard bar. My car is not lowerd but has 295 35 18 out back. It does rub on one side over a hard or steap turn. (Pass. side) How do i determine the adjustment and measuring? Or should I just line the factory one up with my adj one and put it on
Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CAMJAG
I just got an ADJ panhard bar. My car is not lowerd but has 295 35 18 out back. It does rub on one side over a hard or steap turn. (Pass. side) How do i determine the adjustment and measuring? Or should I just line the factory one up with my adj one and put it on
Either get a plumb bob (two would be better) or a couple pieces of string, and lugs nuts for weights. Drape the string over the rear fender, directly over the center of the wheel. Measure to the hub cap, and note the distance as accurately as you can. Then do this to the other side. Adjust the panhard bar until the measurements are equal. The rear axle is now centered.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Either get a plumb bob (two would be better) or a couple pieces of string, and lugs nuts for weights. Drape the string over the rear fender, directly over the center of the wheel. Measure to the hub cap, and note the distance as accurately as you can. Then do this to the other side. Adjust the panhard bar until the measurements are equal. The rear axle is now centered.
Make sure youre on level ground otherwise it will really screw you up
Old 01-11-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think that another board member was saying that you can't just center the axle to the body. I think he said that you have to align the rearend with the front tires, and I don't see how this could be done in the garage without a machine.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
I think that another board member was saying that you can't just center the axle to the body. I think he said that you have to align the rearend with the front tires, and I don't see how this could be done in the garage without a machine.
This is only if you have the adjustable lower control arms. If you don't get the lengths right with these, you can "skew" the rear in the car, with respect to the front.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Make sure youre on level ground otherwise it will really screw you up

Good point....I assumed that people would know that!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
This is only if you have the adjustable lower control arms. If you don't get the lengths right with these, you can "skew" the rear in the car, with respect to the front.
Not necessarily.

Here's a quick way to see if your front and rear wheels are tracking correctly. Wet the street in front of your house (assuming it's straight). Drive STRAIGHT through the water, then get out and note the tire tracks.

If the rear is too far to the right, you'll see patterns like this:

If it's too far to the left, you'll see patterns like this:

Then you can make adjustments accordingly. Too fix it if it's too far to the right, you need to lengthen the bar (push the axle mount farther from the body mount). Of course, if it's too far left, you need to lengthen the bar (push the axle mount away from the body mount. If you look at the picture Ryan (UMI) posted, you'll see what I mean.

If your lower control arms aren't the same length, it would look more like this:

-Mike

Quick Reply: adj panhard bar ???