Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What shocks should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What shocks should I get?

Hey there,
I am in need of new shocks at all 4 corners and was wondering what my best bet would be? I'm on stock tires/stock ride height now but I may go to 19in C6s if that matters. I don't need top of the line performance but I'd like to see my options. Why don't you list the absolute best performing shock and price per shock, best bang for the buck shock, and then the average joe shmoe shock that will get the job done but wouldn't impress...anyone. Thanks guys, need to get some soon so post away!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get Bilstien HDs for $350, which are are good shock if you don't plan on dropping the car. Next would be Strano Revalved Bilstiens for $550. I would consider this the best bang for the buck because Sam Strano will valve them specifically for your application. The only down side is you cannot adjust them. On the high end you have Koni SAs which are about $800, adjustable, and allow for about a 3/4" drop while retaining the stock springs.

I am installing Bilstien HDs today, if I can get motivated. If you want any feedback about them let me know.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

I put Bilstien HDs on mine and they are a lot better than the stockers.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bilstein HDs are the shock GM should have used for the base suspension in f-bodies, instead of crap-*** DeCarbons. They're good as a stock replacement shock, but I would definitely consider Konis for any kind of hard driving. Even on stock springs they make a world of difference. Now that I've bit the bullet and spent the money on Konis (SAs are around $800 for all 4 from Sam Strano) I won't use anything else. To me they're that good.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Well if the Koni's are 800 for all 4 that's not to bad. What springs would you all reccommend running with them? I have SLP LTs which have clearance issues, however, I welded some 1/2in thick steel plates on the bottom to protect them. If they grind to much I'll just get a different set.

So, here's the list so far for spring:
Koni SA's
BMR weldin SFCs
New tranny mount (which one?)
New springs for the konis (which ones?)
Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

"I welded some 1/2in thick steel plates on the bottom to protect them. If they grind to much I'll just get a different set."

1/2 inch plates??? thats a bit overkill
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct that SLP LT's scrape. So if ground clearance is an issue why would you weld 1/2" thick plates on the bottom? You just cost yourself another half inch of ground clearance. Thats quite a bit. Maybe 1/8 plates would be a better choice.

Quick Reply: What shocks should I get?