Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs AND shocks? need both?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs AND shocks? need both?

Well... I've searched a little and didn't really find my answer, so I apologize if its been posted

I am thinking of ordering a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs.. but I noticed that alot of people upgrade their shocks as well...

My car just rolled over 80000 miles and I daily drive it, but the ride still feels smooth to me.. I just wanted to lower it a little bit, and maybe do swaybar + better springs later for better handling

So.. is it necessary to upgrade shocks when i get springs, or can i just get the springs and install them and be alright?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

I am definitely not an expert on suspension, but from what I know, if you can get shocks as well, do it. You will be much happier, and it will ride alot better. You can get by with just springs, and it will look better, but the ride will be alot worse, not to mention more dangerous, as your new suspension will have a hard time keeping the tires stuck to the ground. Also, I'd recommend spending the extra money on good shocks, because that way you'll have a very good set of shocks and will never need to upgrade from them. Hope this answers your question..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Well I didn't really want to replace the shocks if i didn't have to... BUT, your saying if i don't then upgraded shocks will just make the ride NOTICEABLY worse?
Old 01-15-2007, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SStewy
Well I didn't really want to replace the shocks if i didn't have to... BUT, your saying if i don't then upgraded shocks will just make the ride NOTICEABLY worse?
I'm a little confuse on what you said.. ^^^
I'll try to clear it up a bit.
You CAN buy just the new springs, and use your old shocks, but it will ride worse than it does now.
I'd recommend buying new shocks, also, because they will give you the better cornering, and better handling. It's definetely the better way to go, and you will be happy that you spent the extra money.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Teching In

alright, thats what i needed to know, thanks

Oh, and would you recommend a certain brand of shocks? Im going to look around a bit but..
Old 01-15-2007, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

alright, thats what i needed to know, thanks

Oh, and would you recommend a certain brand of shocks? Im going to look around a bit but..
Well, I've never switched the shocks/springs on my car, however im looking into doing it soon. From what I've heard, Koni is right at the top. Bilsteins are also very good. If you want more budget priced shocks, you could get some KYB shocks, however they will not be quite as good as the others i mentioned. Just look around, or ask other people what they have, and ask them for the likes/dislikes about them.
Good luck!
Old 01-15-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're lowering the car with springs, you'll need shocks that can handle the drop. If you keep the crappy original shocks, you'll hate the car even more.

Go with a Koni SA for best performance....
Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spings make the car want to bounce you into oblivion. The only thing that stops them from doing that (besides maybe sandbags) is shocks (dampers). You have stockers on there now, and I doubt they are doing much to dampen your stock springs at 80k miles, since they are usually no good after about 50k.

The rates on a stock height shock are not the same as a lowered one. There is less travel on a lowered shock. If not valved properly, you can have a nice new set of springs and shocks, and have a worse ride than when you had 80k OEM stuff.

Beyond that, when you replace the front springs, the front struts are part of that assembly. In what has to be one of the more annoying proceedures on Fbodies, you have to seperate the old strut and spring and reassemble the old strut to the new spring if you really intend on doing that. COnsequently, most people get new spings and shocks/struts at once. It saves time and effort. Having the front suspension more or less off the car is something most people like to keep to a minimum.

You dont HAVE to do the shocks too, but if you don't you will more than likely regret it highly, IMO.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock springs + quality shocks >>>> stock shocks + lowering springs.

If you really can only do one or the other, get some good performance shocks on there first, and replace the springs when you can (or just wait and do them both at the same time) Swaybars are a very easy addition at any point as well.

That was my plan, but after I got the shocks and swaybars on, I didn't feel the need to add springs. I like the ride just the way it is right now, though I still find myself repeatedly contemplating aftermarket springs. Koni SAs will allow you to drop the front roughly 3/4" with stock springs. The rear can be dropped a bit by removing the spring isolators. Ride height is still a bit higher than I'd like, but it's far better than it was.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:03 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd change them both... I mean, you can get by with the stock shocks for a short time but they aren't going to handle the extra spring rate, and then you're just gonna have to take it all apart again and change them... Do it all at once, and you'll be a lot happier with the ride, too.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

I am thinking of ordering a set of Eibach Pro Kit springs..

I just wanted to lower it a little bit,
The Pro-kit is going to drop your car more than "a little bit"

If you're looking for a slight drop, keep your stock springs and buy a set of Koni SA shocks. Set the front springs on the lower perch and replace your rear spring isolators with 5/8" heater hose

This will net you about a 3/4" drop all around and you'll be much happier with the ride quality

Try a search if you're looking for more info on this
Old 01-16-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Change them both... i rode on sportlines and stock decarbons for a year and now im back to stock springs cause the ride was sooooo low from sagging. Now my suspension squeaks so loudly. Ill never just get springs on a stock suspension ever again. I would def get new shocks and springs, or new shocks with stock springs are ok too.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Bearcat pride gave you great advice.

Do Koni SAs. Do the heater hose mod in addition and you will get a slight drop.

I'll add a set of Stranoparts sway bars.

These two items will make a stunning difference, positive in every aspect. It will be a different car!

If you want it lower, you can swap springs later and you already have the right shocks. I doubt you will feel the need once you see how the car handles and rides.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
If you're lowering the car with springs, you'll need shocks that can handle the drop. If you keep the crappy original shocks, you'll hate the car even more.

exactly

my cars bumbstops ride about an inch above the rear axles, and i bottom it out EVERY time i go over small bumps, still one the stock POS shocks. do it while your getting the new springs in.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice Guess I might have to wait since it looks like I might go with some shocks instead

I'll be back whenever I get it done and see if I can get some pics.