Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suggestions on rotors and pads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on rotors and pads? thunderracing.com?

Hi, I just placed an order with thunder racing for their brake package (powerslot rotors and hawk pads) but unfortunantly they are on backorder.

Can anyone suggest another site and some brands that would be a good trade off? I am in need of the parts in less than a week and I dont think thunderacing can get my order out in time. Any help is appreciated

I hope I did not post this in the wrong forum, if I did please move or delete.

Thanks

Last edited by sirhcman; 01-13-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brembo blanks. Strano had them in stock (and at my door extremely quickly) when I ordered 2 weeks ago.

I've been waiting on my HPS pads from TR for 2 weeks now, with no updates on a tentative shipping date after multiple emails. If I'd have known the wait was that long, I wouldn't have ordered them in the first place. I believe someone on here mentioned something about ordering Hawk pads through Auto Zone, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Element
Brembo blanks. Strano had them in stock (and at my door extremely quickly) when I ordered 2 weeks ago.

I've been waiting on my HPS pads from TR for 2 weeks now, with no updates on a tentative shipping date after multiple emails. If I'd have known the wait was that long, I wouldn't have ordered them in the first place. I believe someone on here mentioned something about ordering Hawk pads through Auto Zone, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Thanks for the prompt reply, I will check em out!
Old 01-12-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I second the HPS pads I just get the cheapo rotors and change them everytime I change pads about once every year and a half...
Old 01-13-2007, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Has anyone ever ordered from thunderracing before? I sent them an email yesterday and called today (said they were open Saturdays from 10-3) and left a message for a call back on my order. So far I have received no response other than the original email saying my items were back ordered.
I am beginning to get nervous that they are not going to respond and give me an answer to the questions I need on my order. Just looking for input

Thanks
Old 01-13-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Thunder Racing is a very reputable sponsor. They'll take care of you don't worry. Might be that they're just not in the shop today or have a limited crew (or maybe getting "prepared" for the Saints game ).

If you want other sources I would consider Sam or Tirerack. You can get Brembo blanks from either source and I know that Tirerack also carries Hawk pads. Beyond that you could pick up Duralast rotors at a local Autozone if you have one. Not sure where you could pick up the pads locally, though...
Old 01-13-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sirhcman
Has anyone ever ordered from thunderracing before? I sent them an email yesterday and called today (said they were open Saturdays from 10-3) and left a message for a call back on my order. So far I have received no response other than the original email saying my items were back ordered.
I am beginning to get nervous that they are not going to respond and give me an answer to the questions I need on my order. Just looking for input

Thanks
I sent them an email Thursday morning inquiring on my pads, and haven't recieved a response yet. Took about 2 days to get a response to the first email I sent them, asking about a shipping date, which was when I was told they were backordered and they expected a shipment of the pads to come in the middle of the week (9th-10th).

For what it's worth, I also haven't recieved any emails back on another order I placed with a different sponsor, about backordered parts that were supposed to have already been shipped out. They haven't, but my bank account has been charged for everything. Not sure if this is just some super-busy time for sponsors, but the response time is really starting to annoy me. I had everything shipped to my work - an engineering office - and I won't be there most of the few upcoming weeks. Having a bunch of car parts sitting around until I get back isn't likely to make management happy.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
If you want other sources I would consider Sam or Tirerack. You can get Brembo blanks from either source and I know that Tirerack also carries Hawk pads. Beyond that you could pick up Duralast rotors at a local Autozone if you have one. Not sure where you could pick up the pads locally, though...
I went to tireracks site and they only show brembo blanks for the rear, they do not carry the fronts (unless I am totally blind), anyone can confirm or deny this?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2007, 01:03 PM
11 Second Club

what about ws6store.com

i have their brakes (drilled/slotted) with hawk pads, got them in just a few days and work perfectly
Old 01-17-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sirhcman
I went to tireracks site and they only show brembo blanks for the rear, they do not carry the fronts (unless I am totally blind), anyone can confirm or deny this?

Thanks
Yeah, looks like you're right. Maybe give them a call - I have purchased blanks from them in the past. Sounds like Sam has them too...
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

We have Brembo's and HPS's in stock.......
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

i was looking around and the cheapest brembro blanks are going for is like $70 per rotor. so for all four thats $280. For $100 less you can get the ws6 store ones. i'd assume they are about the same as far as quality goes, however you can get drilled/slotted from ws6store. personally i would rather have blanks because of the cracking issues associated with drilling and the additional pad wear with slotting. if i could get all 4 brembro blanks for under $200 i'd do it. but $300 isnt worth it imo.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

$64 each for the front Brembo's.

Assuming is never smart, there is a HUGE difference between a Brembo and cheaper rotors. I sell less expensive rotors as well if that's what you want.

But you know how you pay more for a Borla exhaust than a Dynomax? Or how you pay more for set of BFG's than PepBoys tires? You can Monroe's, you of you can buy Koni's. You can buy an Chevy Chevette, or a Chevy Corvette..... This is the same thing. You can buy cheap, but there are reasons those things are cheaper.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Teching In

I ended up cancelling my order with thunderracing, they were not sure when all the products I ordered would be in (everything was showing as backordered).

Sam,

I will probably be giving you a call or simply placing an order online tomorrow, thanks for the heads up on stock availability