Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Caliper Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Angry Caliper Paint

After doing my calipers with the duplicolor kit I was unhappy with the results even after extensive prep work! Thinking about trying to colorsand and recoat them. Has anyone took the time to do this, and how did they turn out. Just trying to find out if the extra work will pay off.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the best way to go for calipers is POR 15, by dupont.stayes bright and wont chip.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:46 PM

I used the Duplicocor and it came out great. Had to do like 8 coats of the Red. Black did well with one coat, but got 4 anyway.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 PM
Teching In

when i used engine paint.got dark within monthes & hard to clean
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great! But I picky as hell. Wondering if a better quality brush will help achieve a less grainy look after I colorsand whats already on there smooth? Anyone try the foam style paint brushes? Just want as smooth of finish as possible
Old 01-14-2007, 02:51 PM

I used the foam brushes as well as the ones for little kids that come with the water color sets. Mostly the small bristle brushes.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

First off, like any paint project, the key is in the prep work. I cleaned mine with brake cleaner and a rag, THEN hit them with a wire wheel brush, THEN hit the smaller spots with a Dremel wire brush, THEN wet-sanded with 400-grit, THEN wet-sanded with 600 grit. One could probably stop with the 400-grit, but I was originally planning to polish them. I decided to go with paint instead.

I painted the fronts with the Duplicolor kit, but used sponge brushes, since the first coat with the synthetic brush that came with the kit left brush strokes. After about 4 coats, I was happy with them.

I rattle-canned the back with some high temperature caliper paint I found at AutoZone. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in quality between the front and rear, but the rears were a bit more of a hassle because it was hot and humid, so the paint bubbled a lot and I ended up having to strip and re-paint them a few times (because I'm picky).

This shoud give you some idea of what it ended up looking like:

I might sand them a bit and hit them with a clear coat some time, but they're holding up surprisingly well, so I probably won't bother until they start to chip/flake.

-Mike
Old 01-14-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had planned on polishing also but gave up because of casting imperfections. I dremeled down the casting line on the face of the calipers an the sanded most of the texture off. Cleaned them up and painted. As it stands now I have sanded the 2 heavy couts down to a perfectly smooth surface. Same principal as primer. Soon as thier fully cured I'll coat again and hopefully the come out smoother. Alot of time on my hands waiting for my Iforged 2 get here

Quick Reply: Caliper Paint