Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

shock/strut install: how to?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007 | 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Default shock/strut install: how to?

I couldn't find a good write-up for shock and strut install via search. Does anyone know of one? Is an alignment necessary after strut replacement?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 01-16-2007 | 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Once you replace the front struts you will need to get an alignment done. It is not necessary if you only do the rears. Also note that the fronts will require a spring compressor to get out. The rears however, are fairly easy since they are in a modified-mcpherson shock setup (outside of the rear spring).
Old 01-16-2007 | 11:32 AM
Launching!

Here ya go:
front
rear

Also, on the front shocks, make sure the upper spring perch and the bolt holes on the lower shock mount are lined up correctly before you try to reinstall them.
Old 01-16-2007 | 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by soulless
Here ya go:
front
rear

Also, on the front shocks, make sure the upper spring perch and the bolt holes on the lower shock mount are lined up correctly before you try to reinstall them.
Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2007 | 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

You don't need an alignment. 4th gen. have shocks, not struts, all around.
Old 01-16-2007 | 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greggy
You don't need an alignment. 4th gen. have shocks, not struts, all around.

WRONG! You're lowering the car and changing the suspension geometry. You NEED to have it realigned. You ALWAYS need an alignment when lowering a vehicle. Just because it's not a true strut doesn't mean you don't need to get it aligned.
Old 01-16-2007 | 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

FYI it's easier/cheaper/quicker to take the strut somewhere to have the top plate changed over. I took mine to NAPA and they charged $27 to pull the top plate off and put on my new strut/springs.
Old 01-17-2007 | 10:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GETGONE
WRONG! You're lowering the car and changing the suspension geometry. You NEED to have it realigned. You ALWAYS need an alignment when lowering a vehicle. Just because it's not a true strut doesn't mean you don't need to get it aligned.
So, when changing the front shocks, if I keep the stock ride height, do I need to have an alignment done? Or is that only if there is a significant suspension geometry change?
Old 01-17-2007 | 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just changed the springs/shocks last Thursday. U do have to do an alignment when u lower ur car or ur tires will wear out. All i can say is be very, very careful when doin the front shocks. They are dangerous if u do not do them correctly. u have to compress the old springs before u take them off the assembly. If u do not have all the right tools, then i would suggest lettin someone do it for u.
I was in the same situation, and wanted to do them myself, but decided to let a mechanic do it for me. Im glad i did that, cuz it is a strenous process. Espicially for me cuz one of the bolts on the shocks was rusted and had to be cut. Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-17-2007 | 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by black99ta
So, when changing the front shocks, if I keep the stock ride height, do I need to have an alignment done? Or is that only if there is a significant suspension geometry change?
If you're just changing the shocks and not the springs, no, you don't need an alignment. As long as the new shocks have the mounts in the exact same spot, you should be good.

-Mike
Old 01-17-2007 | 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
If you're just changing the shocks and not the springs, no, you don't need an alignment. As long as the new shocks have the mounts in the exact same spot, you should be good.

-Mike

Thanks for the advice. Have you actually tried this without the alignment, or are you just assuming the tolerance in the shocks is small enough not to need an alignment?

Also, in your sig, what's a 'G-force custom G-fab bump stop'?
Old 01-17-2007 | 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by black99ta
Thanks for the advice. Have you actually tried this without the alignment, or are you just assuming the tolerance in the shocks is small enough not to need an alignment?

Also, in your sig, what's a 'G-force custom G-fab bump stop'?
I'm speaking as someone who said, "Nah, who needs an alignment? It only lowered an inch or so." then wore out the insides of two good tires. Of course, that was with lowering springs and new shocks. One would hope whoever made your replacement shocks would get the mounting perch in the right spot.

G-Force Motorsports (sponsor near my home) installed my headers, y-pipe and catback, but the y-pipe had two possible settings: "scrape on everything" and "rattle against the floorpan". I chose "rattle against the floorpan", but it was driving me crazy, so I went back to them and they folded up some thick fire-proof padding and wedged it between the floorpan and the top of the y-pipe. No more rattling and it didn't cost me a dime. So it's my G-Force Custom Ghetto-Fabulous Bump Stop.

-Mike
Old 01-17-2007 | 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I'm speaking as someone who said, "Nah, who needs an alignment? It only lowered an inch or so." then wore out the insides of two good tires. Of course, that was with lowering springs and new shocks. One would hope whoever made your replacement shocks would get the mounting perch in the right spot.

G-Force Motorsports (sponsor near my home) installed my headers, y-pipe and catback, but the y-pipe had two possible settings: "scrape on everything" and "rattle against the floorpan". I chose "rattle against the floorpan", but it was driving me crazy, so I went back to them and they folded up some thick fire-proof padding and wedged it between the floorpan and the top of the y-pipe. No more rattling and it didn't cost me a dime. So it's my G-Force Custom Ghetto-Fabulous Bump Stop.

I like your style.

Thanks for the advice, let's hope these shocks work out!

cheers,

Joe

Quick Reply: shock/strut install: how to?