Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help with clunking (suspension?!?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i know waht yours is making the clunk for. pull of both back tires. be smart and do on a level surface with blocks infront and behind the front tires. lift back and pull both tires off on back. there are little rubber jobbers located right above the axle housing. called bumpstops. they have the tendancy to fall apart really easy. if they arent rubber anymore or gone or fallen apart lemme know i have about 10 of them.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a clunk too, its usually when i put the car in reverse and give it gas or take off, its like the rear sus is shifting, its really getting annoying, i guess this is kind of like your explaining..
Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98NATA
I have a clunk too, its usually when i put the car in reverse and give it gas or take off, its like the rear sus is shifting, its really getting annoying, i guess this is kind of like your explaining..
I have that too. But it isn't the bumpstops. Besides it couldn't be them hitting the axle cause when you reverse, the body moves upwards (making it a farther distance from the axle).

All I know is all this **** happened when the new torque arm went it. I'm thinking about putting the stocker back on.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pyronotic138
i think i know waht yours is making the clunk for. pull of both back tires. be smart and do on a level surface with blocks infront and behind the front tires. lift back and pull both tires off on back. there are little rubber jobbers located right above the axle housing. called bumpstops. they have the tendancy to fall apart really easy. if they arent rubber anymore or gone or fallen apart lemme know i have about 10 of them.
It's definitely not the rear axle bump-stops in my situation... They were deteriorating after 12 years, and looked pretty bad, so I just replaced them with a new set since I just lowered the car. Still searching for the exact source of the 'clunk', but my best guess is in my previous post:

My only *guess* is that when I'm coming to a stop in neutral, the combined slack in the M6 transmission and rear-end, and possibly some kind of interaction with the posi-unit, is causing the clunking sounds.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

i had the same problem after i added subframe connectors. In my case, it was the LCAs. I eventually took them apart and greased them and tightened the bolts. The bolts can be too tight or too loose
Old 01-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Teching In

whenever i put the lca's on i'll make sure to do an awesome job with them..... Pacman,when you took them apart and greased them the clunk went away?
Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

my main problem was the bolts were too loose. I tightened them up alot, but then had a squeaking sound. After I loosened them up a little the clunking and squeaking went away. I dont think the wheel grease helped, but I also put loc-tite on the bolt to keep it in place
Old 01-24-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

well my rear suspension is completely stock, could it be the lca? this cant be normal..
Old 01-24-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just want to say that there are a lot of different issues going on here. Not everyone is having the same type of problems and we're a little mixed up. My problem is sorta like jb442's and azibit's. We have minor slack in different parts of the driveline; but combined, they make a problem.
Others are having problems with their LCA bolts being too loose. I used to have this problem but fixed it.

well my rear suspension is completely stock, could it be the lca? this cant be normal..
Now to help you.. So you don't have any chassis or suspension mods? I can't think of what could be the cause, maybe some more descriptions.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem as you, but my suspension is heavily modded. My TA *torque arm* wasn't aligned properly, the angle was off, this caused TA to hit the tunnel or the car body when I went over a bump. The top of the TA, where it meets the rear end is where it would hit. It hit so much that it eventually made a hole right through the body of my car. Now, I know your car is stock, and mine isn't, but our symptoms seem similar, so it's worth a shot, check to see if the TA, where it meets the rear end is smacking against the top tunnel part of the body.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I hear the clunk most often when i back up and give it gas, its like something shifts in the rear, and after i put it in drive and give it gas it has made the noise again like its moving back where it was. it's also make the same clunk when i slammed on my breaks going down the road, its like the rear is moving back and forth, i dont really know. I did it in front of a mechanic i know and he said he thought it was the control arms because he said he saw the rear end shift when i did it but i dont know if thats true, but ill check out my torque arm thanks guys
Old 01-26-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear the clunk most often when i back up and give it gas, its like something shifts in the rear, and after i put it in drive and give it gas it has made the noise again like its moving back where it was. it's also make the same clunk when i slammed on my breaks going down the road, its like the rear is moving back and forth, i dont really know. I did it in front of a mechanic i know and he said he thought it was the control arms because he said he saw the rear end shift when i did it but i dont know if thats true, but ill check out my torque arm thanks guys
I have the same thing. Tighten up your LCA bolts and the rear torque arm bolts. Inspect the torque arm to make sure it hasn't cracked.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

mie clunks to if your just sitting still in you put it in gear you can hear it clunk its like the whole trans moves, it also does it when i shift gears
Old 01-29-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks ralls ill check it out this weekend, hopefully my ta isn't cracked and i'll get it fixed, by the way nice lookin ta
Old 01-31-2007, 01:52 PM
SCRWS6

Damn, I been looking for this kind of post, I`ve checked it myself, taken it to a shop, besides a little "play" in the trans mount which they said wouldn`t cause the clunking noones been able to find anything some new ideas on what to check thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Check what Red97Z told you my BMR adj. torque arm is hitting the tunnel. Look above where the top torque arm mounting bolt head is located, use some light and look from the rear forward up in tunnel. All that is hitting in my case is the head of the top bolt.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 PM
SCRWS6

guess I didn`t look very well, took it to the shop, after an inspection, they found the left rear trailing arm was loose, so they torqued it down....and no more clunking.... live and learn

Quick Reply: help with clunking (suspension?!?)