Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

BMR boxed SFC modification

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMR boxed SFC modification

Has anyone welded the BMR boxed SFCs along the pinch weld (in addition to the front and rear welding needed to install these). Some additional material would be needed, but seems like it would help to stiffen the center section of the car.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 01-20-2007, 10:33 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will move this to the suspension section. You will most likely get a response/explanation over there.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Does anyone have more information on this? I remember reading about a couple people doing this, but I think that was on the old ls1.com site.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 02-12-2007, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I decided against welding to the rocker panels because it didn't seem like it would add much since it's tied in to the floor pan and tunnel brace mounts. If it were me, I would just brace between the SFCs and tunnel brace mounts. If you don't want to deal with removing the seats and carpet (pretty easy actually), you can just weld to the mounts themselves.

If you did want to weld to the rocker panel, a few one inch welds along the lip would probably be more than enough.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Thanks for your response. The problem with welding the BMR SFC to the rocker panel is that it sits about 1/2" (estimate) away from that pinchweld. I can't remember how far away from the floor it sits, but it's definitely not flush. In order to weld to the floor or pinchweld, I would need to add some material to the sides/top of the SFC.

Just wanted to find out if it makes a big difference or not. Seems like it would.

Thanks,
Jim

Quick Reply: BMR boxed SFC modification