Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

groaning noise in the rear!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default groaning noise in the rear!

Hey all,

I bought my Z28 with the spring isolators already removed, and had a horrid case of road noise and rubbing noise. I took out the springs while I was changing the rear brakes, and did the "heater hose mod". After this, I do still hear a "groan" noise whenever the suspension travels. Even pressing down on the corner of the rear bumper, with the car on the ground it's pretty obvious. Where else can I look? The only other part I saw obviously worn/rusted were the sway bar end links. Everything else visually looks good (shocks are dry, etc)

Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

I did the heater hose mod last spring when I installed my Koni's. By the fall i had the same issue coming from the passenger rear..........I had it up on a hoist and found the noise was coming from the lower spring support. Without the upper support it looks like the spring can move around just enough to make noises when the suspension loads up? I haven't attempted a fix yet...........maybe all it needs is lube??
Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

I know the bottom coil wanted to be clocked in a certain position (IIRC the end of the coil sat towards the "rear") otherwise it was moving on me too. There isn't supposed to be an isolator on the bottom, just one up top, correct?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Launching!

what is heater hose mod?
Old 01-29-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

It's a replacement for the upper spring isolator. Remove the spring and isolator, slip a length of hose over the top coil of the rear spring, and reinstall JUST the spring. Drops the rear ride-height more than a half inch so I've heard.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

currently, i have a umi phb on my car so will i need an adjustable panhard bar if i lower my car?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
I know the bottom coil wanted to be clocked in a certain position (IIRC the end of the coil sat towards the "rear") otherwise it was moving on me too. There isn't supposed to be an isolator on the bottom, just one up top, correct?
correct, there is no isolator on the bottom support.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

just to update, I changed out all 4 sway bar end links front and rear (had to break off the old ones, doggy style). The rear groaning noise is 90% gone. Don't know what else could cause it but it's a nice improvement.