Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

All I can say is wow!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I do want to point out that reading the first post he mentioned shocks and springs as well as the other things. But it reads like they didn't matter. I don't know what he used specifically, but I can assure you shocks are a HUGE change in these cars even when done all by themselves. I'm trying to say that when you make a lot of changes at once you can't tell which part did what to the car, which is why I prefer a more step-by-step method. In that way you can feel the changes, consider them, and know where to go next/what the parts did exactly.
I agree but the problem I have with that is, when you do springs and shocks you should also get an adj. panhard, adj. torque arm, and LCA relocation brackets to get your car adjusted where its supposed to be after its thrown out of whack.

Sure you can do just shocks first, but then you have to take it all apart again to do springs so you may as well do them both at the same time. And you could stop there and get used to them, but now you're driving with an out of adjustment rear-axle with the wrong pinion angle, LCA angle, and a panhard that can't adjust to the change.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
now you're driving with an out of adjustment rear-axle with the wrong pinion angle, LCA angle, and a panhard that can't adjust to the change.
yea but do u REALLY notice any change in the ride with these things?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is that a joke?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

The pinion angle change is not detectable when you lower a vehicle with a full length torque arm. I don't care what the people trying to sell you a torque arm say. I measured mine before and after lowering the rear with a stock torque arm and measured no difference.

And while i recommend a rod end PHB for almost everyone just for the improvement in handling alone. They are not absolutely needed when lowering as long as your drop is moderate (an inch or so) and you're not running wider than stock tires.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Veteran

the control arm angle is whats really changed when lowering.

pinion angle that is off by alot results in worn U joints.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
I agree but the problem I have with that is, when you do springs and shocks you should also get an adj. panhard, adj. torque arm, and LCA relocation brackets to get your car adjusted where its supposed to be after its thrown out of whack.

Sure you can do just shocks first, but then you have to take it all apart again to do springs so you may as well do them both at the same time. And you could stop there and get used to them, but now you're driving with an out of adjustment rear-axle with the wrong pinion angle, LCA angle, and a panhard that can't adjust to the change.
No.... LCA brackets are in no way required. Everything I've done and won in my cars have been without LCA brackets and the car is lowered. Also the PHB helps, but it's not effecting nearly as much as the shocks, etc. are. And you can easily do a test by changing it for a 5 minute drive (it's two bolts).

And the change is pinion angle is so smal it's irrelevant. Most cars are set @ 0, and many go to -2 or -3 degrees when they adjust them, you don't get nearly that much change buy lowering the car, and certainly nowhere near U-joint damaging angles.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-31-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

preach on you are the man sam! I have to agree Shocks are definitly what should be done on suspension first.

Quick Reply: All I can say is wow!!!