Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Which shocks??????

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which shocks??????

2002SS convertible: I have installed my 9" 3:89 rear and BMR adj. LCA's & adj. Torque arm. I have Yank SS 4000 stall here to install, along with cam and roll bar on the way. What would you drag race guys suggest as the right stocks to transfer the convertible weight? I was thinking Strange single adjustable or double, is the extra $100 worth it? I do drive on the street, but not much.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:11 PM
TECH Veteran

paging sam strano..

sam strano to the suspension department..

he will give you the right answer.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Hey, drag racing is easy... find the shocks that damp the springs the worst and you've got your best weight transferring units. Stock, QA1, cheap Monroe's, etc.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-03-2007, 07:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Hey, drag racing is easy... find the shocks that damp the springs the worst and you've got your best weight transferring units. Stock, QA1, cheap Monroe's, etc.
Sam, hope you agree no question is a stupid question "find the shocks that damp the springs the worst" could you explain this to a know nothing?
Old 02-04-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't want to put word in Sam's mouth, but I think he means that weight transfer drag racers want is a by product of shocks not working correctly. Shocks are intended to reduce or at least slow weight transfer. This is the main reason a true drag race set up handles relatively poorly in corners.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think subtlez28 has it right...
Although you do want a shock with a high rate compression so you can 'launch' the front wheels in the air and transfer more weight.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We have had the best results with the Strange shocks and there valving. I am sure Sam is even aware of how critical valving is on a drag car. I usually recomend the single adjustables for the front and the double adjustables for the rear. How much RWHP is the car?

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 02-05-2007, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

Lee glad to see you come in on this, as I have started at the rear end with a moser 9" 3:89 gear, and BMR adj. torque arm and adj. LCA's. The car is an A4, at present RWHP is 330. After Yank SS 4000 stall, heads and cam I think I should be around 430 RWHP. Not really sure about RWHP after work is complete, but I'm pretty sure we will not go over 500 RWHP. I really want to get this set up right, and just what you were saying double strange in rear and single in front was what I was thinking. Any suggestions for the head of the top torque arm bolt hitting in tunnel?
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I deal in making cars stable and turn. Frankly, cars with a lot of drag racing in mind aren't fun to drive hard on the road.... Shock valving can effect a launch, but we've all been to the strip and seen some ragged out Nova run a 10 second pass on an old set of nothing shocks.

While you can tune a shock for drag racing, it's very simplistic, and frankly, you want one with no front rebound, and not a lot of rear compression but something that's adjustable in case the car wants to leave crooked. Of course you can tune that in other ways too. Air bag, rear bar, change to 4-link arm positions (since some of you have 4-links), etc.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 02-05-2007, 12:55 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by caddobass
Lee glad to see you come in on this, as I have started at the rear end with a moser 9" 3:89 gear, and BMR adj. torque arm and adj. LCA's. The car is an A4, at present RWHP is 330. After Yank SS 4000 stall, heads and cam I think I should be around 430 RWHP. Not really sure about RWHP after work is complete, but I'm pretty sure we will not go over 500 RWHP. I really want to get this set up right, and just what you were saying double strange in rear and single in front was what I was thinking. Any suggestions for the head of the top torque arm bolt hitting in tunnel?
Unfortunatley most cars have the same problem when installing an aftermarket torque arm. The torque arm is much smaller in that area on the stocker so it clears no problem. The best thing you can do is make sure the rearend is centered properly in the car then lightly clearance the entrance to the tunnel with a piece of wood and a hammer.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.con
(813)986-9302
Old 02-05-2007, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
Unfortunatley most cars have the same problem when installing an aftermarket torque arm. The torque arm is much smaller in that area on the stocker so it clears no problem. The best thing you can do is make sure the rearend is centered properly in the car then lightly clearance the entrance to the tunnel with a piece of wood and a hammer.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.con
(813)986-9302
As it just is hitting that is what I was planning to do, thanks Lee
Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I deal in making cars stable and turn. Frankly, cars with a lot of drag racing in mind aren't fun to drive hard on the road.... Shock valving can effect a launch, but we've all been to the strip and seen some ragged out Nova run a 10 second pass on an old set of nothing shocks.

While you can tune a shock for drag racing, it's very simplistic, and frankly, you want one with no front rebound, and not a lot of rear compression but something that's adjustable in case the car wants to leave crooked. Of course you can tune that in other ways too. Air bag, rear bar, change to 4-link arm positions (since some of you have 4-links), etc.
Thank you Sam, I think I'm just trying to make this shock thing more complicated then it really is.

Quick Reply: Which shocks??????