Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about product

Ok I got a question for you guys
is this a pretty good combo?
http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=70002

What I am looking for is something that will not lower my car too much, since I have LTs and dont want to scrape my Electric Cutouts.

Maybe an inch or even 1.5 inches Max. But I want a good performing combo for Autocross racing. Solo 2 to be exact. I dont want it to be Go kart stiff either.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would call up Sam Strano. His springs are proven on the Autocross course, as is his knowledge. He also sells revalved bilstiens.

His springs drop around 1.2 inches. There is alot of info about him/the spings on here.

You may also find this link usefull:
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
Old 02-08-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using those shocks with a set of Eibach springs. Yes, everyone here says it isn't ideal, but I think it works fairly well. Under $700 for matching shocks and springs is a good deal, in my opinion.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, I have heard some people talk about Sam Strano but never knew who or what it was.

As far as that SLP kit, I like the pricing too. How much did it drop your car leadfoot?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Captainofiron
As far as that SLP kit, I like the pricing too. How much did it drop your car leadfoot?
As I mentioned, I'm using the Eibach springs, the ProKit, to be more specific. Eibach advertises 1.4", if I remember correctly, and I would say that it was right around there. I don't mean to be vague, but I swapped the springs 11 years ago, so the memory is a little fuzzy.

I got the shocks from SLP around 5-6 years ago. Some of the folks here comment that SLP has Bilstein tailor the shock's valving to their springs (the ones in the "package"), but nonetheless I'm satisfied with their performance. I don't race or auto-x, just drive briskly in an area where the roads aren't the best. The SLP Bilsteins ride a LOT better than the stockers did with the Eibach springs.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sam Strano=owner operator of Strano Parts-sponsor
http://www.stranoparts.com/index.php
He posts on here alot. I'm actually suprised he hasn't chimed in here yet.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm also an SLP dealer, so we can discuss options without you feeling like I'm telling you to do "A" because I don't even sell "B". I'm also a pretty good autocrosser.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'm also an SLP dealer, so we can discuss options without you feeling like I'm telling you to do "A" because I don't even sell "B". I'm also a pretty good autocrosser.
The man of the hour chimming in eh?
Well thanks for replying, What do you think about that SLP kit with the Eibach springs and the Bilstein shocks? I like the price, but is there something better for around the same price range? Also like I said above, I dont want to drop the car too low, maybe an inch to 1.5 inches max
Old 02-08-2007, 02:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think it's a street setup that isn't bad, but also isn't great. You tend to get what you pay for, and you get a decent handling, ride riding street suspension. Then again it's about what I think should have been on a production performance car from the factory. It's a lot better than stock, but stock should have been a lot better. So the improvement, while good is not a good as you can do.

We can talk options, and there are many.... I can't really help you by e-mail beyond telling you if you want the car to handle and can lower up to 1.5" (which is more than I would), then you ahve a number of better handling options and some are similarly priced, some are a lot more.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see, I dont really want to lower it 1.5", I would prefer a 1" drop, I think my headers would be ok with 1" less. What do you suggest, I plan on taking it maybe once every two or three months to the SCCA meets down here, and I am going to need it as my DD since my Jeeps engine isnt doing too well and I am going to rebuild it over spring break.

So I wanted maybe a mild track set up that wouldnt be too radical for regular street duty.

what would be the best for that, If the price isnt too far off, I might even be willing to go a little more aggresive.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, I have to say that I can't really give you much detail by e-mail. I can't because there are a lot of if/then things. I can help, and we can work on things with a price in mind, but this is like wondering if you'd like the taste of something by asking a bunch of strangers on a forum somewhere. Some of who have tried what you ask, some of whom haven't.

If you want details and explanations, I'm happy to help, but you need to call. And FWIW, I don't setup kindney pounders, that's not good for tire compliance. Firm, hell yes, bone-jarring. No.

Old 02-08-2007, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Again, I have to say that I can't really give you much detail by e-mail. I can't because there are a lot of if/then things. I can help, and we can work on things with a price in mind, but this is like wondering if you'd like the taste of something by asking a bunch of strangers on a forum somewhere. Some of who have tried what you ask, some of whom haven't.

If you want details and explanations, I'm happy to help, but you need to call. And FWIW, I don't setup kindney pounders, that's not good for tire compliance. Firm, hell yes, bone-jarring. No.
Alright sounds good, I will be calling, but I cant even get a price in mind right now, because I am still paying for my knee surgery, and like I said I need to rebuild my jeeps engine.

But I like the way it seems like you do business. I will be in touch