Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

can I remove the torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007 | 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default can I remove the torque arm?

If some bars were put on top of the rear end like the lca's on the bottom. like in the pic.

also why is the torque arm never mounted solid at the front? all the ones I have seen allow it to move back and forth. Why not just mount it solid?
Attached Thumbnails can I remove the torque arm?-angles1.gif  
Old 02-08-2007 | 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Are you going to bolt them to the fuel tank? Other than the packaging issues, you could just look at a Fox body Mustang or an old Chevelle and see a version of what you describe. They don't do many things well, but they will get down a drag strip ok. Also, if you do a setup like you picture, you'll need a PHB or Watts link to keep the axle square under the chassis.

As the axle moves, the TA will "plunge" in and out as the LCA's make the axle swing in a arc. If you bolt it solid, you'll bind up the suspension (until something breaks).
Old 02-08-2007 | 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

you could convert to a 4-link. few have done it but takes some fabrication

the rear end rotates about the lca's, not the torque arm. if it were mounted solid, you'd have some terrible binding and probably some pretty cool damage over time

*edit: beat me to it
Old 02-08-2007 | 10:09 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Time to break out the plasma cutter and a welder and go to town...not exactly a fab job I'd ever want to tackle without a serious jig and some serious skillz...
Old 02-08-2007 | 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys.
I thought about a 4 link but thats a little over my budget right now.
I am just looking for a better hooking car at the track for bracket racing. One that will still hook even when the track goes away. I know you can make the stock suspesion hook enough to run some fast times. I'm just trying to understand how it all works and how different suspesions work. I will probley stick witht the stock style. I am still running stock ta for now. I was planning on getting a new one but I wanted to understand how it works before buying.

I understand the ta not being solid mounted now thanks

Do you thing the setup I described would have an advantage or disatvantage over the stock setup for drag racing?
Old 02-08-2007 | 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Popular Hot Rodding magazine did an extensive tech article on rear suspension set ups during 2006. You might want to see if you can access it on their website. For what it's worth, a lot of short-track oval cars run a torque arm, with excellent results... I'm talking 700hp+ race cars.