Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:02 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

KYB shocks are not very good for longevity or damping. Yes, you can make them stiffer and softer, but that doesn't mean a lot in itself. To get good control from those shocks you need to turn them up pretty high, and the ride harshness is not good. That's one place high quality shocks really are worth the cost, because you get awesome control without the teeth rattling harshness.

Vogtland springs are great quality, I use them to make my springs. But the spring set they market for these cars is WAY too stiff in the rear. They use a front that's quite soft for lowering spring (in the SLP range, but lower height) and EXTREMELY stiff in the rear, way too stiff. Stiffer than I run by some 20-50% on my autocross car. Not exactly idea for ride.

Again I have no specifics about what you consider good that I can go on. 2" gap in the back can mean different springs because of different tires.... YOU NEED TO LOOK AT PICS and lots of them to get a sense of what is good for height, remembering taller is better than shorter.

At this point I really can't say if Pro-kits, Hotchkis, my springs, H&R's, are most suitable. Really. You are essentially asking others who also don't know these details to suggest things to you based on what are admittedly extremely broad descriptions. Body roll is best controlled by swaybars, not springs, but spring do lessen it (if they are stiff enough, yours aren't). That's one item that would lead me to say you want something more than Pro-kits, so maybe we are getting somewhere. But also, shocks control roll rate and too quick roll rate makes the car feel like it's going to scrape the mirrors.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-08-2007, 03:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Hey Sam the title of the thread is "best shock spring". Maybe I miss what the best is. I talked to Koni tech line and they said "If you dont modify the shocks the will warranty. They did not say anything about paint.
You either have to grind down, or remove the cap for the coil-over sleeve. Even if you don't modify the shock by removing and re-installing the cap, you cannot run a full length dust boot, lest it contacts the threaded sleeve. And the scratches on the body of the shock from said sleeve is an indication that the car/shock had a coil-over installed. That, my friend, is NOT running the shock as built and covered on warranty, which is by using a stock type spring on the spring perch.

You continually think you know it all, and it's really old. I deal with more Koni's than you've even seen in you entire life. I have 3 sets in my shop right now, and I sold over 200 sets last year alone. So you can choose to believe that they are that stupid that they can't tell you had a coil-over installed, but don't pile that crap up on these other folks. And the reason this is important is simple. Coil-overs allow more drop than the shocks have stroke length, which results in broken shocks when people use that low setting and ram the piston into the bottom of the housing. That's not Koni's fault, and it's not covered under warranty (and is also obvious when the shock is taken apart since it looks like a nail after you hit it with a hammer.

So for the rest of you. Listen to me, listen to Yellow, I don't really care at this point. I'd simply submit that I have given valid reasoning to back up my case.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sam I agree that if u put the car to low and blow the shock it will void the warranty but koni told me that running a coil over set-up did not void the warranty. And the sure did not say anything about paint. When u dont know what ur doing and break things there is no warranty. I all so have my drop set at 3/4 inch. I think that is good. If u want to slam a car kool, but if you break things its ur fault. By the I still think that the ground contol is the best off all woulds. Does not cost that much and u can pick the rates. And I do adjust both on my konis. Maybe you cant fell the differace but I do.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'll just take my 5 SCCA National championships and go home now. I didn't say you can't FEEL a difference. But feeling a difference and performance are not necessarily related. I can feel a difference with more compression damping in DA's, and it's ALWAYS BEEN SLOWER on a clock, in competition. No thanks. But again, I keep interjecting fact into your "I did it this way, it has to be right for everyone world".
Old 03-09-2007, 11:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And it's called an investigation. If they see the car had coil-overs on it, and you broke a shock, you can damn well bet they are going to look into it. Are you really that dense? And @ 3/4" and 400 pound springs, why didn't you just run a set of SLP springs, that cost less and would have given you the same drop.

You don't make any sense. The fact is if you want to run coil-overs, that's fine and many do. They are overkill for the street in most cases and cost more. If that's ok with you, that's fine. DA's cost a lot more than SA's do, not everyone can find a flea-market deal like you did, but you apparently don't see that and continue to spout off about what *YOU* did with regard to other important details, like cost, warranty and what--if anything, DA's gain you.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:27 PM
TECH Junkie

I agree that suspension advice is something you should go talk to an expert on and not seek advice from random people from message forums. After racing my Camaro for 3 years in autoxing, I now really understand the point of shocks, springs, and why they work the way they do. Way more than I did before I started. If anyone understands a sporty/road race/autox suspension its gonna be Sam who has compared things that work with things that don't work.

Advice from manufacturers isn't really advice. It's marketing.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Old 03-09-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Sam

How about a little competion.

Three races at Masion-Dixion drag way. Then a race from Masion-dixion to summit point on the road. It’s about sixty miles with some good roads. Then a day at summit point. Run what ya brung. You against me. That we can tell who has the best all around car. Loser will never post in this section again. How about it. It will be fun. Best two out of three events.

You with 5 SCCA National championships should win fast. I must be crazy to think I might win. How about it????
Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Sam

Three races at Masion-Dixion drag way. Then a race from Masion-dixion to summit point on the road. It’s about sixty miles with some good roads. Then a day at summit point. Run what ya brung. You against me. That we can tell who has the best all around car. Loser will never post in this section again. How about it. It will be fun. Best two out of three events.

You with 5 SCCA National championships should win fast. I must be crazy to think I might win. How about it????
Wow your challenging someone who has to keep his car setup within specific rules for the class he races in to your car where you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Congrats that takes some ***** to do man. How about you go race him in the same class he races in with the same rules, and prove how much better your setup is then.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think Sam has a lot more to lose than you in such a proposition. Besides, Sam has more important things to worry about than interweb bickering. The man runs a business for a living.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey Sam

And then we can have a d*** measuring contest. Winner declared which spring shock combo is the best

He's not bragging by mentioning 5 SCCA national championships, but using it more of a basis behind "Which setup do you go with? Some random guy online, or someone who's won several times with their setup". Who would you listen to? Someone who has a resume, or the other guy with nothing to back himself up? It's nothing personal
Old 03-10-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Okay, so, brienjustin, apparently you talked to Sam prior to this thread being posted?

and so now you want other folks opinions, looking for what???

No offense, but I say you question Sam's advice, and that's fine, so choose who you want to listen to and get what you want to get...

enjoy your new setup whatever you choose.

I listened to others in this site on my previous camaro, did not listen to Sam's advice, and basically got FUCKED and had a sub-par setup.

If you want good sound advice, you need to figure out EXACTLY what you want, don't be so vague, find some pictures of the ride stance that you want, read up and then make a decision and get that setup...

Now, should you DO what I just said, and later on find out that the ride quality/handling isn't what you desire, then you can spend more money and time and choose something else...

Good luck.

And no I'm not bashing you, but I would question the fact that you spoke with arguably THE f-body handling expert in the nation and you are still asking others for their opinions...

Again, enjoy your setup whatever you choose to get.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

i talked to sam after I started the thread, i am not saying i will not take his advice, because i am. I am just seeing what other people have done the their rides and how they like it, because i dont like my set up. I have some pics i am going to post so you guys can see where i am at.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by brienjustin
i talked to sam after I started the thread, i am not saying i will not take his advice, because i am. I am just seeing what other people have done the their rides and how they like it, because i dont like my set up. I have some pics i am going to post so you guys can see where i am at.
Good idea!

What kind of springs you got on now?

EDIT, nevermind, I just read your sig...

Wow, sportlines, no WONDER you want a change.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

i have eibach sportlines with bilstein HDs. How do ipost pics in here?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

i hope the pics work
Attached Thumbnails Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01053.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01054.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01058.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01059.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01060.jpg  

Last edited by brienjustin; 03-10-2007 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:10 AM
TECH Resident

i have eibach sportlines with bilstein HDs. How do ipost pics in here?

click on post reply button, you'll get a screen that has the classic Microsoft Word document edits like the bold "B" for bold print and such, anyway you see this icon that's shaped like a square and looks like it mountains, you click that, post the url site to the pic, and there you go...

You need to put the pics at a URL address like photobucket.com before you can use that IMG icon mentioned above, does that make sense?

Yes?

No?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

i just inserted them as attachments
Attached Thumbnails Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01065.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01064.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01056.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01055.jpg   Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)-dsc01057.jpg  

Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

i just inserted them as attachments

Great stance, and I know your ride quality sucks *** right now.

You just need to decide what you want to do big guy, great looks or great handling or great launching...

Sportlines make the f-body look OUTSTANDING!!!
Can't do much else though...

a great handler does not necessarily mean a lowered car.

If you want both, then now you're talking about multiple springs that can do the same thing, some are stiffer, some are not so stiff, everyone has their own opinions because they use them.

Lots of folks love Sam's springs. Get great shocks to compliment the springs and you'll have great handling and ride quality...
Old 03-10-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am looking for the best suspension I can get for under a grand. I prefer driving on windy roads and cornering hard. Drag racing is not an issue. I am most concerned with bottoming out my 2002 Camaro. Input is appreciated.

Quick Reply: Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)