Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
I am looking for the best suspension I can get for under a grand. I prefer driving on windy roads and cornering hard. Drag racing is not an issue. I am most concerned with bottoming out my 2002 Camaro. Input is appreciated.
What kind of springs do you have now?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock SS suspension.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brienjustin
i hope the pics work
Ouch. Yeah that looks like it hurts. You must be sitting on the bumpstops. You must have every bump going right up your ***. In this case you don't even need shocks because you have no suspension travel.

I am looking for the best suspension I can get for under a grand. I prefer driving on windy roads and cornering hard. Drag racing is not an issue. I am most concerned with bottoming out my 2002 Camaro. Input is appreciated.
Honestly, get a set of Koni SA shocks and put them on with the stock springs. Try those out for a year and then go with springs if that's not good enough. Anytime you go with springs, you will sacrife a bit of ride comfort.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Koni SA's are arguably the BEST shocks you can buy for an f-body, but that could be considered overkill for street applications...

Depending on how serious a handler you want, and if you plan on lowering your ride which is NOT necessary for a great handler, you can even opt for the Bilstein HD's with stock springs and your handling will feel MUCH better than now...

Now, you can even keep the factory springs and go for Koni SA's and your handling will be WAY beyond what you can comprehend as a great handling vehicle.

The best thing about the Koni SA's is that, you can spend the $$$ for the shocks only, keep the factory springs, you will not be disapointed...

But then should you decide to change springs then the SA's can be adjusted to match the spring settings, PRESTO!!!

THAT'S the great thing about the Konis...

Now a less expensive alternative but a GREAT handler also is to pick a set of springs like Eibach Prokits, Sam's kick *** springs, HR's, Hotchkis, and pay Sam to revalve some Bilstein shocks to match the springs and again you have an outstanding handling BEAST.

Lots of ways to go, depending on what you want and how much you are willing to spend.

But whatever you do, do NOT buy Sportlines, and do NOT buy off the shelf Bilstein HD's with lowering springs, as they are not designed to work with them, and you WILL not be too thrilled after a few months.

My .02
Old 03-10-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS

But whatever you do, do NOT buy Sportlines, and do NOT buy off the shelf Bilstein HD's with lowering springs, as they are not designed to work with them, and you WILL not be too thrilled after a few months.

My .02
Where can I buy the revalved Bilsteins online and how can I identify them from unvalved regular Bilsteins?
Old 03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

There is only one person who re-valves them. Sam Strano is the man to call.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
There is only one person who re-valves them. Sam Strano is the man to call.
Absolutely.

As I said earlier, Sam is the only person I know who cares enough to get the Bilstein's revalved to match the springs that you're going to get.

Have you gotten the springs yet?

If not, make a decision, then call Sam and tell him what kind of springs you got so he can get the Bilstein's revalved to match the springs.

You will not be disapointed.

Better yet, give him a call, he'll be asking you a LOT of questions, he will then recommend the springs that will work best for YOUR applications, and he'll get the Bilstein's revalved to match them.

Sam sells all kinds of springs, he'll tell you the best ones to get, and I would suggest his springs, NICE lowered stance, and with revalved Bilstein's your car will be transformed to a nimble handling machine...
Old 03-11-2007, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

ok guys. I have found Koni double adjustable shocks and single adjustable shocks. The SAs are $350 plus $25 shipping for 2 rear shocks and the DAs are $277 a piece for the rears with free shipping. Which one would you guys consider? Especially you Sam, i am really looking for your advice on this. I am going to go with either the Vogtland or Hotchkis springs. When i talked to Sam last week he said he was out of his Springs, but he used the Vogtland springs to make his. Soi trust those are good springs.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brienjustin
ok guys. I have found Koni double adjustable shocks and single adjustable shocks. The SAs are $350 plus $25 shipping for 2 rear shocks and the DAs are $277 a piece for the rears with free shipping. Which one would you guys consider? Especially you Sam, i am really looking for your advice on this. I am going to go with either the Vogtland or Hotchkis springs. When i talked to Sam last week he said he was out of his Springs, but he used the Vogtland springs to make his. Soi trust those are good springs.
Call him up and talk to him, he will be more than glad to help you pick out your setup over the phone.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

I want to keep the stock springs. Do you recomend still recomend getting Bilsteins revalved. What is revalving?
Old 03-12-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock springs, you dont' "have too". But i would keep the stock ones and get the SA's.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:12 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Hey Sam

How about a little competion.

Three races at Masion-Dixion drag way. Then a race from Masion-dixion to summit point on the road. It’s about sixty miles with some good roads. Then a day at summit point. Run what ya brung. You against me. That we can tell who has the best all around car. Loser will never post in this section again. How about it. It will be fun. Best two out of three events.

You with 5 SCCA National championships should win fast. I must be crazy to think I might win. How about it????
Mason-Dixon is a drag strip, my car isn't, and I'm not a drag racer and never claimed to be. Further, I'm not irresponsible enough to even consider such a hair-brained throw-down. But I think it illustrates just how willing you are to spout off whatever is in your brain regardless of how well-thought it is (or isn't).

How about you come and beat me *LEGALLY* at an autocross? Somehow I think you'll be off on that. You'd rather do something that plays to you apparent willingness to do stupid things, where I prefer to think things through a bit more, and I'm not risking my life or someone elses to shut you up. I guess you aren't willing to spend $30 to enter an autox to shut me up.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Mason-Dixon is a drag strip, my car isn't, and I'm not a drag racer and never claimed to be. Further, I'm not irresponsible enough to even consider such a hair-brained throw-down. But I think it illustrates just how willing you are to spout off whatever is in your brain regardless of how well-thought it is (or isn't).

How about you come and beat me *LEGALLY* at an autocross? Somehow I think you'll be off on that. You'd rather do something that plays to you apparent willingness to do stupid things, where I prefer to think things through a bit more, and I'm not risking my life or someone elses to shut you up. I guess you aren't willing to spend $30 to enter an autox to shut me up.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

ok guys just ordered my Hotchkis springs with Re-valved Bilsteins for Sam Strano. I have talked to Sam a number of times over the pask week or so. He has helped me tremendously and and give me a whole bunch of info and shocks and springs and setup and what not, knows his stuff thats all i got to say. This setup should be a good ride quality for a street car. It doesnt do much racing so it seems to be the best choice. I have learned, that there is no such thing as best shocks and springs. Because different driving conditions and uses of the car requires different shocks and springs. AutoX need one combo, drag racing needs another, and overall ride needs yet another combo. So i thank all of you that gave your opinions and thoughts, and thanks for all the help from everyone, i really appreciate it. I will let you guys know how it is after i get all the parts and get them installed.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sam as stated by Brien there is no best set-up for everything. But I do think my car will do more than yours. Do you watch Speed? Have you seen Bullrun, Pinks or shows like that. I got to say, I think it would be more fun to a bit of each. I am sure that in Autocross u would win. What is the best. I think a little of each. This was best shock/spring. It would be fun to see how good ur car is against my car. Dont you ever street race? Or is that a little to much fun for you?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Are you 3 years old?
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
Sam as stated by Brien there is no best set-up for everything. But I do think my car will do more than yours. Do you watch Speed? Have you seen Bullrun, Pinks or shows like that. I got to say, I think it would be more fun to a bit of each. I am sure that in Autocross u would win. What is the best. I think a little of each. This was best shock/spring. It would be fun to see how good ur car is against my car. Dont you ever street race? Or is that a little to much fun for you?
Give it up guy. Sam isn't some 17 year old punk kid.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Give it up guy. Sam isn't some 17 year old punk kid.

i'll drink to that
Old 03-18-2007, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

strano springs / revalves

Old 03-18-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with Sam's recommendation. I have Koni SAs with hotchkis springs and i love it. I wish i waited to buy springs till strano springs came out. I might change them out this summer, who knows. I do love the way the car rides and handles. Its a lot stiffer but not rough but handles like a dream. Its just amazing.

Quick Reply: Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)